Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Stop Playback after a Track

I hate to stop the music in the middle of a track, so i would love some way to make Spotify stop playback after the current track.

Right now I can simulate the desired behaviour by right-clicking an empty playlist, (that i have created for this purpose only) and selecting "Choose as Current Playlist" and making sure that the play queue is empty. While this is a nice workaround, I think that it would make sense to include a real "Stop Playback After Current Track"-function in Spotify.

Update (2015-02-01):

The previously suggested workaround doesn't even work any more as Rapti has pointed out in a comment. At one point it could even make Spotify crash completely.

I would like to point out that a saner, more flexible queuing system could allow even finer control over when to stop playing. Thus people who like this idea might also like:

Updated on 2021-07-19

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this function is now available on mobile devices via the Sleep Timer feature. It can be activated through the moon icon directly in the Now Playing View of podcasts, or through the three dot menu in the Now Playing view of songs. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
analogfan

It'll be great to had an option (by right-click/context-menu or menu bar) to stop playback after the currently playing track. Or, even better, the possibility to stop playback after a marked track out of the playlist. These options are already implemented for a long time in most players like foobar etc.

Blake91

Been using Spotify for years now but going to leave as I like to listen to one podcast episode when I go to sleep but it's at a point where it's more hassle than it's worth. It wouldn't be difficult to add a command in for 'play song' or whatever for a single playback with no automatic que.

Wideblue
Exactly! Or for a playlist, only to be disrupted by a series of "payola"
songs having absolutely zero in common with anything I've ever played
before, or intend doing in the future. But good old Spotify makes sure to
continually add these such songs into my daily mix - solely on the basis
that they were played one time via this virtual kidnapping.
Hate It!
LifeWulf

For what it's worth, if you're playing Spotify from the desktop client (I'd imagine this works on the website but I know for sure there's no way to do it on mobile), if you select one of the upcoming songs and then hit Ctrl+A (Cmd+A I think on Mac), then hit Del, it'll clear your queue and playback will stop after the current track.

Not nearly as good as an actual "stop after current" feature, and like I said, this doesn't work on mobile. But it's a decent workaround on desktop.

Just MAKE SURE that "Autoplay similar songs when your music ends" in Settings is disabled. Otherwise it'll just start up an unrelated radio station.

Wideblue
I'm on mobile, that disable feature isn't available.
Craziest part about all this is Spotify will start right up playing
gibberish after an imported album finishes - this is something I don't
recall from my earlier account back in 2011.
LifeWulf

I'm staring at the autoplay option right now on the Android app: "Autoplay" then right beneath it "Keep on listening to similar tracks when your music ends."

It's under Device Broadcast Status and above Behind the Lyrics.

Screenshot_20170425-205824.png

If you're on iOS, I sincerely hope you have that option as well.

Wideblue
Hmm, I must investigate. Thanks!
Wideblue

SOLVED!!!

Thanks @LifeWulf great suggestion!

LifeWulf

Happy to help!

ksisaacs

As others have mentioned a "Stop Playback After Current Track" is a feature that should have been a no-brainer when developing the player. It's also been over five years of people requesting this option so hopefully a plan is in the works!