Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Stop Playback after a Track

I hate to stop the music in the middle of a track, so i would love some way to make Spotify stop playback after the current track.

Right now I can simulate the desired behaviour by right-clicking an empty playlist, (that i have created for this purpose only) and selecting "Choose as Current Playlist" and making sure that the play queue is empty. While this is a nice workaround, I think that it would make sense to include a real "Stop Playback After Current Track"-function in Spotify.

Update (2015-02-01):

The previously suggested workaround doesn't even work any more as Rapti has pointed out in a comment. At one point it could even make Spotify crash completely.

I would like to point out that a saner, more flexible queuing system could allow even finer control over when to stop playing. Thus people who like this idea might also like:

Updated on 2021-07-19

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this function is now available on mobile devices via the Sleep Timer feature. It can be activated through the moon icon directly in the Now Playing View of podcasts, or through the three dot menu in the Now Playing view of songs. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
sagar_ap

We totally need this. I remeber Winamp had excellent Queue controls. Stop after current with Starman would be my standard sleeping ritual..

Please, please. How is this still not a thing? Spotify - please listen to us. 🙂
Feenyxfire

Listening to podcasts without this feature is just obnoxious. I often would like to listen to just one long episode - no different than wanting to listen to just one album. Would there be this much delay in adding a feature to NOT listen an artist's entire discography without a manual stop at the end of an album if there wasn't that feature already? Netflix and YouTube have the option to toggle off "autoplay next episode". I don't understand how literally 5+ years of people asking for this feature is not convincing enough.

_iicg-m0zm49g

Listening to a guided meditation for sleep, falling asleep, and then being woken up by whatever plays next is the absolute worst.

Tam3

Would be good to be able to listen to just one podcast episode while falling asleep without it playing episode after episode all night. 

belkinfahri

This would be an amazing feature but the guys from Spotify are really busy to 'so small' change ..

Melody
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2018-10-03

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're keeping this idea as 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

LifeWulf

YEARS later, they finally say "nah, we're not going to do it."
Great job, Spotify. If the Amazon Music app ever becomes as polished as the Spotify app (and by this thread it's clear it could be even more polished), I'm going to seriously consider switching now that Unlimited has come to Canada. They don't have quite the huge library that Spotify does, but some 90% of my songs are on both so meh.

Kapinny
Unbelievable.

I'm speechless.
erinlee0103

Spotify team, it would be nice to know WHY this is not a priority instead of just saying no after years and pages of requests for this feature. It can't be that you don't have the resources, so it's either not important enough or there's a reason not to do it. I like your music player, but I don't like the way this request from the community has been blown off.

If anyone is looking for a workaround, I found one that I may use. There are a few "silent" songs on Spotify. If you want to stop listening to music after your current song, you can add one of these to your queue. Spotify will still go back to playing music or the next podcast, but it gives you a chance to pause Spotify for real. It's not perfect, but maybe it's better than nothing.