Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Stop Playback after a Track

I hate to stop the music in the middle of a track, so i would love some way to make Spotify stop playback after the current track.

Right now I can simulate the desired behaviour by right-clicking an empty playlist, (that i have created for this purpose only) and selecting "Choose as Current Playlist" and making sure that the play queue is empty. While this is a nice workaround, I think that it would make sense to include a real "Stop Playback After Current Track"-function in Spotify.

Update (2015-02-01):

The previously suggested workaround doesn't even work any more as Rapti has pointed out in a comment. At one point it could even make Spotify crash completely.

I would like to point out that a saner, more flexible queuing system could allow even finer control over when to stop playing. Thus people who like this idea might also like:

Updated on 2021-07-19

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this function is now available on mobile devices via the Sleep Timer feature. It can be activated through the moon icon directly in the Now Playing View of podcasts, or through the three dot menu in the Now Playing view of songs. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
alangauss

I don't understand why continuous playback is the default option which you can't even opt-out of. It's like they don't even use their own product. If you just want to listen to one song, you search for it and play it. As soon as it ends another slightly different version, or a live version, or the same song from a different album will start playing. How does that make any sense?

JoeyWazza

Oooh my god how can this not be fixed yet. Now its not even possible to "choose as current playlist" at all, or is it something wrong with my spotify?

Since it was removed that you cant choose empty playlists I made one with just one short track, but now that doesnt even work anymore, this it soo anoying!!!

Its a very basic thing that would please so many, is there any answer to why this not is done?

Is this working in apple music I will switch asap!

peterroumian

kudooooooooooosSssssssssSSsSss

marijnsmid

Jesus Spotify, it has been four years since the OP. How hard can it be? The lack of this function is one of the greatest flaws of Spotify, and also one of the easiest to fix. Absurd.

mikelohim

I totally miss this feature...and I think it wouldn't be such a problem to add this feature (at least for premium users...and I think it would make even more people to go premium)

physik4r

How does this feature not exist? Do you know how enjoyable it is to put a song on before you walk out the door? Try it sometime 🙂

saved

Right now I'm reading these posts while listening to Deezer on a trial basis. It's late, I'm very tired and I'm going to bed now.

I created a late night playlist on Deezer and it's just ended. It didn't repopulate the playlist with tracks I hadn't added, or suddenly ruin my bedtime peace and quiet with a sudden change of mood. Just silence at the end of the last track. WONDERFUL!

I didnt have to wake up enough to try to click on pause just at the right moment then log off, and I hate it when a track cuts off and doesn't finish properly.

I'm still evaluating Deezer and it's definitely not perfect, but they just got a huge boost in my estimation over Spotify.

EarlPurple

Maybe Deezer has changed then.  When I evaluated it, it added loads of tracks I had not put in the playlist and wouldn't simply play my playlist in order.

saved

@EarlPurple - Following your comment I thought I should double-check my facts as I was very tired when I posted previously. So I have just done a test run and here's what happened:

I created a playlist called Test in both Deezer and Spotify. Each one contains the same two short songs.

In Deezer: It played both songs, then queued the first one to play again BUT it was automatically paused so I had the choice to just click on play to start again, or do something different. I really can't fault that.

In Spotify: It played the first track then two ads, BUT instead of continuing to the second track in my playlist it skipped it completely and went on to play something from a completely different playlist when the ads finished.

I should emphasise that these playlists were both ones I created and not from any other source.

Unfortunately I can't do an absolutely like-for-like comparison because at present I'm using Deezer on a trial basis so there are no ads to interfere with the running of the playlists.

I would be really interested to know from any paying Spotify subscribers whether this would behave in Spotify as well as it did in Deezer. If not, I'm sorry to say it's just another reasons against paying for Premium.

EarlPurple

A few months ago I had to vote for a song from a poll of 5 so I found all 5 of them on Deezer. I decided to use this on a phone that doesn't have Spotify installed. I tried listening to this playlist in the order I had created but it wouldn't simply play that.