Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Stop Playback after a Track

I hate to stop the music in the middle of a track, so i would love some way to make Spotify stop playback after the current track.

Right now I can simulate the desired behaviour by right-clicking an empty playlist, (that i have created for this purpose only) and selecting "Choose as Current Playlist" and making sure that the play queue is empty. While this is a nice workaround, I think that it would make sense to include a real "Stop Playback After Current Track"-function in Spotify.

Update (2015-02-01):

The previously suggested workaround doesn't even work any more as Rapti has pointed out in a comment. At one point it could even make Spotify crash completely.

I would like to point out that a saner, more flexible queuing system could allow even finer control over when to stop playing. Thus people who like this idea might also like:

Updated on 2021-07-19

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this function is now available on mobile devices via the Sleep Timer feature. It can be activated through the moon icon directly in the Now Playing View of podcasts, or through the three dot menu in the Now Playing view of songs. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
Amac5597

Why does Spotify go quiet?  It still has the countdown thing going but it plays a second of each song. I don't pay my premium each month for this **bleep**. I already uninstalled it and everything and it still happens. Didn't know where to post this one

dyskiver

Good ol' WinAmp's CTRL+V.

Have the same issue as the OP - I hate stopping a song in the middle.

Please add support for this 😞

durin

Those of you who use Spotify in Linux can use this python script (not the best python code, my first)

import dbus

from dbus.mainloop.glib import DBusGMainLoop
from gi.repository import GLib

DBusGMainLoop(set_as_default=True)
bus = dbus.SessionBus()

def properties_changed(self, *args, **kw):
    player = dbus.SessionBus().get_object('org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify', '/org/mpris/MediaPlayer2')
    player.Stop(dbus_interface='org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player')
    loop.quit()

bus.add_signal_receiver(properties_changed, dbus_interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties",signal_name="PropertiesChanged" )

loop = GLib.MainLoop()
loop.run()

I added a global shortcut in KDE/Plasma that calls this python code when I press the stop button on my keyboard.

analogfan

Please implement this useful feature.

Palpatine66

I CANNOT see why this wouldn't be the easiest feature to implement. They simply don't want to let us stop listening for financial reasons. Warning, Spotify, if you don't fix this soon, I am dropping you forever. I pay for the service not to get force fed music for your monetary gain. You guys are jerks.

StephenBuckley

This is a great idea, but I'd bet spotify's internal KPIs have to do with songs played. Stopping after the current track is great for members but if it was available to guests then they might not be served an ad that's queued next.

This is pessimistic and I hope the reason is simply they have better features to work on,  but it seems so simple and such a small ask! Hopefully a product manager smiles on this and accepts our love into their heart.

Krevency

This seems very basic, and not difficult to impliment. I was sure I just wasn't finding the right button or right-click menu. It turns out that Spotify doesn't think it's worth their time.

I wonder if Spotify, as a business, has an incentive to disallow this. I suppose it would be harder to fit ads in if it were only one song playing at a time? Or they would seem more intrusive? 

Disappointing. A good service overall, though.

tomasz13

I just unsubsribed from spotify premium mostly because of lack of this feature. I'll be going to some other platform. It's ridicoulus how simple of a feature this is, and it's still not implemented.

arranlomas

Need this. Especially with how good podcasts are now. I listen to it when I go to bed and hate waking up in the night with it still playing. For that reason it's needed in mobile as well as desktop, if not more

whysoserious79

2017 and still not implemented? c'mon spotify it is so annoy to keep clearing queue or stop playback when next song starts.