Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Stop Playback after a Track

I hate to stop the music in the middle of a track, so i would love some way to make Spotify stop playback after the current track.

Right now I can simulate the desired behaviour by right-clicking an empty playlist, (that i have created for this purpose only) and selecting "Choose as Current Playlist" and making sure that the play queue is empty. While this is a nice workaround, I think that it would make sense to include a real "Stop Playback After Current Track"-function in Spotify.

Update (2015-02-01):

The previously suggested workaround doesn't even work any more as Rapti has pointed out in a comment. At one point it could even make Spotify crash completely.

I would like to point out that a saner, more flexible queuing system could allow even finer control over when to stop playing. Thus people who like this idea might also like:

Updated on 2021-07-19

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this function is now available on mobile devices via the Sleep Timer feature. It can be activated through the moon icon directly in the Now Playing View of podcasts, or through the three dot menu in the Now Playing view of songs. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
Wallsy91

Surely this should be a feature by now. Just a setting to stop the next podcast from playing...

This is the kind of thing that would make me think about ending my subscription! It's so frustrating!!

Sort it out Spotify! Plenty of people want it!!!

Kapinny

This option is even more crucial with podcasts. It is simply not ok to have episode after episode play on, especially if one listens as one is falling asleep. I don't want to hear more than one episode at a time. Why has this not been addressed? I don't wish to delete hundreds of episodes from the playlist every time I want to listen to an episode. FIX IT PLEASE!!!!

joltex

Yes please!!

So often I want to queue up a few tracks and go to sleep, or not worry about stopping playback before leaving home or wherever I'm using Spotify. It's a pain to have to create a temporary playlist any time your want to do this.

Jaimekb

Terrible!! Onc of the reasons I got Spotify was to listen to my mediation without needing WiFi before bed. Now just as I'm feeling asleep to the end of a track it launches into some other **bleep** and wakes me up!! Why wouldn't there be an option to play a single track???!!!???

Gjtsbitfv

You don't have any plans to fix it? Why not? It's a fairly obvious and simple improvment.

Do you enjoy waiting with bated breath to pause a playlist in those 2 seconds between tracks? Is that how you DJ at your house parties? 

Grofte

A simple implementation would be to add a context menu item to the queue to empty the queue. 

Gjtsbitfv

Adjust your “plans”, Spotify. I know you’ve got many requests. Great! You’ve got tons of customers. Adding flexibility to pausing is a fairly basic feature that I’d actually consider switching services for. (Any recommendations?) The feature should not be complicated to implement—not for you guys who are the absolute best UI designers in the world! I bet you could write the code in an hour. You’re THAT good. 

Now, I realize some tacky mofos don’t find it annoying to jarringky halt a track before the end of a musical composition. But these people should not be allowed to listen to music in the first place. Some people can’t be trusted with nice things. However, many Spotify users are classy connosoirs who respect music and don’t wish to end their listening experience with an abrupt cut at some random spot in a track. It’s like taking a razor blade to the Louvre and cutting off 1/5 of “Mona Lisa’s” smile. Many Zayn fans and the like, who care more about the social identity signaled by their listening choices than about actual aural bliss, just want to be reminded of their idols in whatever repetitive, tasteless ways they can. But some of us listen to music for the compositions themselves. We want to hear that last note and let it fade as performed. It’s an effing crime to carelessly destroy art work by needlessly cutting it up. 

Have some respect for your product, Spotify. Make this a priority. But don’t eat Cheetos during the hour of programming it’ll require; they’ll get your keyboard messy. 

Cheers!

evertevert

If you want to even be considered as an alternative for playing podcasts, you really need to make it possible to stop playback when the current track has ended. I hate waking up in the middle of the night several episodes ahead and not knowing during which episode I fell asleep.

AGWGG

That would be awesome, especially since I use a sleeping podcast. Or maybe have some way to mark an episode as unplayed?

Yonyewest

DO IT please