Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Tag Music

It'd be awesome to be able to add my own tags to all of my songs in playlists, so I can easily and specifically sort my songs how I like.

Should be a pretty simple tool to implement.

Thanks

Updated on 2018-10-05

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're keeping this idea as 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
jabalsad

Furthermore, Spotify could harvest the tags to see which tags are popularly applied to songs. This could ultimately lead to a tag suggestor.

raffraffraff

I subscribed to spotify recently, and my first impression was "holy cr@p this is an awful interface!". I feel like a chef who's trapped in a gigantic kitchen with all the herbs and spices in the universe, but they're all in boxes that have nothing but a barcode on the front. The only way to find new music is via another service, or somebody else's playlists. The Last FM integration is OK, and it's nice to be able to add playlists from NME, Pitchfork et al. But it doesn't take long to exhaust these. The "one star" / playlist system is underwhelming. No, it's awful. I'm already at the point where I have too many playlists, because I'm forcing them to fulfil a role that they're completely unsuited to. Tags are essential. I'm finding myself using Spotify for about 10% of my music listening, just so I can listen to my Last FM recommendations and audibly browse the main music publications. For everything else, I use mood tags on my own personal collection.

Kudos for the Linux support though.

allugan
Tags could me added as in gmail : several for each item, maybe with subtags also.
Holden

Tagging should be used to create playlists. That way you can look at a song in one playlist and see the other playlists it's associated with. Categories are so 5 minutes ago anyway. Greate suggestion samuelb07

Liam
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Only ideas with 40+ kudos should have the good idea status.

nedhenningsen
Yes yes yes yes yes. Yes. This needs to be how we can organize our music, it's how I organize my notes in Evernote, my mail in Gmail, why is Spotify not doing this? Even I they made me pay a little extra (which would be annoying) for this feature, I'd do it. To be able to tag a song I hear using radio "chill", "work to", "happy", "rainy day"... Ah how nice would it be to then be able to search for it / create playlists using those tags. Catch up Spotify.
jsh

This ideaexchange site has tags---so should Spotify! I basically use playlists as tags anyway, but it's unwieldy and isn't a social tagging experience. Please provide real tags for Spotify!

Herski

I agree with this! Spotify really needs this feature. At the moment it takes too much time to organise multiple playlists. Mood and genre tags etc. for the songs would be awesome. The tag system could even replace the current playlist system

Rocio
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

toonzes

You should also just be able to "store" entire artists, albums or individual songs. Then you should be able to browse them all exactly the way you do in your (offline) iTunes library.  Apple is clearly going to do that when they eventually hop on the music-streaming wagon. Spotify should beat them to it!!