[Music] Use Opus Codec instead of OGG Vorbis

Many users are currently complaining about the sound quality of Spotify. A new open-source codec called Opus is available and it may improve the sound quality on the same bitrate to improve extreme quality for premium users. Also, when Spotify will already use the codec, they can reduce the bitrate of the normal quality without reducing the sound quality. It is great for reducing bandwidth use and making songs faster to load. It will also make the users who use old versions be discouraged to use the old app. A comparison of Opus to other codecs is in this link https://www.opus-codec.org/comparison/ . Examples are here http://opus-codec.org/examples/ .

quality.png

Updated: 2016-01-27

Hey folks, currently we have no plans to switch to Opus. This idea will remain open for kudos even with the 'Not Right Now' status and we'll continue to bring your feedback to the teams here at Spotify, thanks!

Comments
utack2
Gig Goer

iOs added native support for opus too now.

There is absolutely no platform left where opus is troublesome, maybe next year you can do it?

off---white
Roadie

+1

Graigsmith
Casual Listener

They need to switch to aac.  Because phones include hardware decoders for it.  iOS may support opus.  But does it do do more efficiently than aac? 

Graigsmith
Casual Listener

I think I changed my mind here after reading the posts.  Opus sounds amazing.  Especially if it will improve battery life. 

HenrikStevn
Gig Goer

Is there an update on implementing the Opus format? It has already proven itself, and will provide either identical quality at lower bitrates (very nice for mobile users) or superior quality at the same bitrates as today.

Considering the strong backing from companies like Apple, it seems like a no-brainer. Opus is the official successor to Ogg Vorbis, after all.

EduXicao

@EduXicao wrote:

Sometimes, I can't hear it even a little bit louder without stress my hears. High frequencies on Ogg Vorbis are very harsh and there is no way to correct it in equalizer, because the codec introduces too HF noise in all HF spectrum. YouTube audio quality is greater than ever, even in lower bitrates like 120~ kbps for web interface. Spotify free uses 160kbps as you know, and the sound does not get better than OPUS codec at higher bitrates in premium subscription. Spotify needs to change. 

I noticed that the issues I used to have was more about the vorbis codecs implementation in some devices than quality brought by the codec itself. The 320Kbps Vorbis quality is something with the good codec I use now. As every new technology, it has some edges to shave. Now, it is happening to me that some devices has the same kinds of issues and others now with OPUS codec. So, rethinking, Spotify may have done the better choice for a while given the current codec stability.

dotJAZ

@nielsbuus that's not necessarily true.

1. It won't take thousands of man-hours, more like hundreds across a couple of popular platforms
  2. It's not just for audiophiles, it will have real benefits to Spotify and users alike
  3. It won't take much space at all, and existing services don't have to be interrupted even without updating. 

Opus don't have to come in ALL bitrates. And it doesn't have to provide noticeably superior quality

• Replace 96kbps Vorbis with ~80kbps Optus
  • Add 128kbps Opus to use instead of 160kbps Vorbis where possible
  • Keep all bitrates of Vorbis other than 96kbps
  • If we are being aggressive 256/288kbps Opus can replace 320kbps Vorbis with better quality

Overall, it's only ~112kbps or less increase on total bitrates, and the entire catalog don't have to be updated all at once. It has the potential of saving 10% of bandwidth, especitally for free users it could end up saving 15% or more in running cost.

@EduXicao Spotify don't have to adopt high bitrate OPUS just yet, OPUS for sure is still in its early days,

but Spotify can use OPUS@80/128kbps, saving both them and us the bandwidth without losing quality. Then adopt >256kbps OPUS in a couple of years time.

EstebanBONJI

We (the community) should do something to get OPUS on our devices, we pay, we deserve the best quality.

EstebanBONJI

We (the community) should do something to get OPUS on our devices, we pay, we deserve the best quality.

FireDragon76

Vorbis has some good encoders like AoTuV, so I don't necessarily see it as inferior at higher bitrates for music.  I use Opus sometimes but I've ABX'ed it against Vorbis and it's more or less the same at bitrates higher than 128 kbps.   At higher bitrates, both Opus and Vorbis are going to outperform MP3.