Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Warning when a Track is removed from Spotify

I use Spotify to store the music i like - saving them on Playlists. Spotify adds music continuosly but also deletes other, by licence problems or whatever. But you Spotify must warn me in that circumstances, so I can get that music from another source. It s not acceptable that you quit music from your servers and from my playlist without any kind of warning. It s a disrepect to the user of your service. Please solve this problem as soon as it s possible.

Updated on 2019-01-11

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're keeping this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

As before, you can show unavailable track by going to Settings -> Display Options -> Show unavailable tracks in playlists. This setting also works for saved songs.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
Apexheritage

If a song or artist is to be removed, let us know so we may download the item. Tell me why this won't work.

Anamon

@ApexheritageThis won't work because when a track is removed from Spotify, they are no longer licensed to offer it. That's one of the reasons why there is a 30-day limit to offline mode. If you were very lucky, you downloaded a song and went into offline mode right before it got deleted. Then, you could listen to it for 30 more days, before you had to go online again and it would be deleted.

Another reason why this won't work is because just a few weeks ago, Spotify removed even the last traces of any message and notification functionality from clients. First, they removed playlist update notifications, then they removed new release notifications, and now they eliminated private messaging, in order to shut down the notification system completely. Sadly, at this time I really don't see how Spotify introducing any new type of notification is even remotely the direction they're heading in. In short, they don't want you to listen to what you want to listen to, but what labels pay them to play to you. And notifying you about deleted tracks would risk losing you to another service.

Joedasta

@meahtenohais the feature proposed available for the App iOS version as well? or only Desktop version? Thanks

harrybosgrandad

Thanks for pointing me here! Somehow I had never gone through my settings; this and a couple other changes really help. Wow...about 70 starred songs had become unavailable (and that's just for the starreds)...which is saddening, but seeing them is infinitely better than thinking that they'd simply disappeared. 

They need to do this!

Dawson557

I see Fire - by Ed Sheeran had 246 million listens and they've removed it but not touched the rest of the album. All I can find is bad covers now. What's the deal?

Racniccha

How do I see a list of unavailable tracks on my playlist? And is there a way to be notified when they become available? (Hot chip playboy & the beach party)

Anamon

@Racniccha It depends on which player you use, but you should have an option in the settings screen to activate this, called something like "Show unavailable songs in playlists". They will be displayed in grey instead of white on the playlists.

There is no way to get notified when a track becomes unavailable; that's what this thread is requesting.

Roalexis

To me it's getting to the point that it doesn't make sense for me to pay for premium if the majority of the music I want to listen to is going to be removed. It truly sucks to find out that out of the blue music that you like to listen to is gone without warning.

LumberjackROYAL

Doesn't really matter that I can see how much of my playlist that I can't listen to anymore! I would forgive it if it was a temporary problem while solving licensing or contracts but i keep losing good songs by known artists. (permanently?)