Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] Mono option for hearing impaired

Spotify needs to have a mono option for those of us who are hearing impaired. It is exclusionary otherwise!!!

Updated on 2021-04-05

Hey folks,

Thank you for your patience and support while we're looking into this.

Writing to share some great news and confirm this feature should now be available!

If you don’t see it on desktop right away, make sure to keep the app always updated.

Cheers 🙂

Comments
johkih

I can't see why lots of people wouldn't want this. I miss half the song when listening with just one earpiece and also having to be able to hear if someone wants to ask me something in the office, so definitely a bump from me.

Liam
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Marked as new idea again, once this idea reaches 100+ kudos it will get reviewed by the staff.

charlesgage

I saw a comment from the spotify staff about producers not wanting their mixes put into mono.

Well if the producers gave a rats mass about sound quality maybe their mixes would have some dynamic range so we could listen to more than 2 songs without going mad.

Google "loudness wars", most producers have given up entirely on sound quality...

So bring on the Mono.

Mattnificent

PLEEEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE GET A MONO SETTING!!!!!!!!

It seems like every other device I listen on requires a mono setting.  Not that I'm always using outdated equiptment, but going from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket into a car audio system, it seems like there's always some point of failure.

I am an audiophile.

When I can't hear each instrument because it switches speakers, it RUINS the experience, and I sound like an idiot "No dude, there's this really sweet guitar part right here, you just can't hear it because Spotify doesn't have a mono setting"

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!

If it is a matter of not having engineering resources, hire me, and I'll do it for you (I program).

Thanks in advance!

- Matt

db1983
Genvy42

I'm another deaf-in-one-ear person, and there are more of us than one might think.  Too bad they haven't all found this idea discussion yet (and, apparently, too bad none of those music executives have developed this problem and discovered what a pain this is).  Please consider adding a mono playback option!

t-moff

If it'd be easier, maybe another way of dealing with this is for Spotify to identify songs as either "stereo" or "mono" and then let us filter out the stereo songs somehow. 

Mertiin

I would love this my sound output on my android phone only works with one speaker.

Rokal
Chiming in as another Spotify fan who is completely deaf in one ear. I'd really love it if this option was added. I know Winamp lets you force mono sound for stereo MP3s, so maybe you clever Spotify devs can think up way to have this as an optional toggle?
dåligtnamn

A mono feature should be added and also an equalizer!