Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] Mono option for hearing impaired

Spotify needs to have a mono option for those of us who are hearing impaired. It is exclusionary otherwise!!!

Updated on 2021-04-05

Hey folks,

Thank you for your patience and support while we're looking into this.

Writing to share some great news and confirm this feature should now be available!

If you don’t see it on desktop right away, make sure to keep the app always updated.

Cheers 🙂

Comments

I am deaf from one ear and I need this! Could be great to have because when on headphones I miss a lot of things. Mono is lower quality but for me is much better.

krsenor01

I am a huge listener to spotify but i mainly use headphones or earbuds and i am 80% deaf in one ear so it makes speaker changes hard to hear, i need mono audio. i can't even listen ot my favorite band ink floyd cause i miss half the instrumentals

dmorg

In my backyard, I have a left speaker on one end of my back wall and I have a right speake on the other end of that wall and there is about 30 ft. between them.  Unless I sit/stand right in the middle of the two speakers when I'm in backyard, music on Spotify will not sound good/natural because of the channel separation.  Would it be so hard for the Spotify dev. team to create a "mono" option in the settings panel?  This would seem like a no-brainer for them.  I see Spotify's users have been asking for this feature for a couple of years now, starting with user Judah's request back in March of 2012 and then another 21 pgs. of comments following that.  Come on Spotify!  Please listen to what your users are requesting and create a "mono" listening option for us!!!

dmorg

In my backyard, I have a left speaker on one end of my back wall and I have a right speake on the other end of that wall and there is about 30 ft. between them.  Unless I sit/stand right in the middle of the two speakers when I'm in backyard, music on Spotify will not sound good/natural because of the channel separation.  Would it be so hard for the Spotify dev. team to create a "mono" option in the settings panel?  This would seem like a no-brainer for them.  I see Spotify's users have been asking for this feature for a couple of years now, starting with user Judah's request back in March of 2012 and then another 21 pgs. of comments following that.  Come on Spotify!  Please listen to what your users are requesting and create a "mono" listening option for us!!!

DrumstickVT
I've been part of this comment chain for a few years now and just wanted to
inform people of some alternatives:

Both Apple and Android (in the past year or two) offer mono output. It
should be in settings > accessability

Windows 10 recently added a Mono Audio option. It's in settings > Ease of
Access > Other Options, if you scroll down there should be a Mono option.
maxmaidment96
In response to those suggesting using the mono accessibility function on
device rather than in-app. I should think most people commenting here have
already checked to see if their device has this function - my phone does
not. Many devices do not have this, although they should. But as a music
app Spotify absolutely needs to have this. It's like a hospital not having
wheelchair access - it's ridiculous.

Please, Spotify. Review this thread and weigh up how beneficial this
function will be for your company. Partial deafness is not uncommon and
this east fix will increase the user experience for these people a huge
amount.

DrumstickVT that option is not in my windows10.

lflfm_eur

@user-removed This option is only available from some specific Windows 10 version and apparently not in the enterprise versions or something; it's not on my work PC's either...

You can buy a stereo to mono jack adapter from Amazon or eBay; which is stupid but it's the best we got right now...

It is a good idea but I use Bluetooth earphones 😞
JusRuys

Defenitely think this is a must have! It is a great idea, and if there's an option to turn on mono sound it wouldn't ruin it for the artists because the original wil still be available!