Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Other] Bookmark audio books and separate them from music

Please implement bookmarks for audio books and separate them from music.

There was an idea for bookmarks in audio books. Sadly it was closed, because one half of the idea (save the position in podcasts) has been implemented, even though nearly all of the 30 pages was about people wanting this for audio books.

As the moderator posted "If you'd like to see the same behaviour for audio books, we'd recommend making a new Community Idea for this.", so this is it.

There are many other audio book bookmarks requests, but they were all closed as duplicates because of the now closed idea. 

As an additional aspect to this, please ensure a separate handling / tagging of audio books and music. When alternating between listening to audio books and music the Spotify engine starts putting book chapters in your recommendation playlists, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

01/2023: It's astonishing that Spotify keeps steadfast in ignoring this simple and annoying issue. Getting a best of 2022 list with chapters of audio books still isn't a good idea. 

Updated on 2020-02-24

Hey folks,

We appreciate you coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks 

Comments
malteW

I saw the saved position once on an audio book in my iOS Spotify app a few month ago. I think it was a mistake by Spotify developers, since they removed that "feature" shortly after. But it looked like the same feature for the podcasts. So it is possible. But I guess Spotify doesn't want this, for what ever reason. 

I am helping myself with screenshots of the current track, which is especially bad for long titles, because you have to wait until it reaches the track number. 

Chris7de

I don’t understand why Spotify won’t implement an idea which is discussed so often for over five years in this community. Spotify, if any of your moderators read this, then please listen:  If you are not interested in offering audiobooks then please don’t do so. Listening to audiobooks on Spotify is such a shitty experience and so frustrating that deleting this feature would be better than this horrible solution. The automated playlists which are suggested by Spotify contain parts of audiobooks and chapters which make absolutely no sense. It interrupts me listening to normal music. A lot of the other music streaming providers (Apple Music, Deezer) found good solutions for this problem. I would suggest to use the same feature as for podcasts or to create an own app for podcasts and audiobooks. But ignoring your community for years is a very dangerous attitude for a plattform which depends on those people, never forget that…

i have the problem allready for a long time that i meanwhile have 2 Mixtapes only with audiobooks and also there are audiobooks kapitel inside my music mixes, that destroy my mixtapes.

Please seperate music from audibooks. It doesn't make sense to hear simon becket after or within music-titles.

Walle_

I’ve been following this post for years already and I’ve come to the conclusion, that there must a reason why they are so reluctant to add the feature.
Maybe they don’t want us to listen to audiobooks? Maybe users listening to audiobooks isn’t profitable enough, so that they choose to make it as inconvenient as possible for us.

Whatever the reason might be, it worked out for me - I’ve opted for another audiobook platform. 

I don`t understand it. Either only a few people have the problem here, or the problem ist to complicated for the spotify programmers.

I even asked spotify to reset my account to start like a new member and hope that i'll have this problem not again, but spotify can`t do that.

Spotify can distinguish between RAP and Country, but not between Audobooks and Music??

And the only solution from your support is "nice idea, put it to ideas in the community!" i like to join your support team, looks like an easy job for me. No Skills nedded.

Walle_

There is nothing wrong with your account. The issue is that audiobooks are currently not categorized as audiobooks. They is no such distinction like songs vs podcast episodes. 
The platform simply regards audiobooks as albums with each chapter/sub-chapter being considered as a song title. 
So, If you have a playlist with different music albums + audiobooks, it will just play them interchangeably.

rugata

It is quite sad that such incompetence or ignorance exists on the part of Spotify towards its listeners.
How can it be that an idea remains an "idea" for years. How is it possible to develop something so little "innovative". Classifying audio books as real audio books is not really an innovation, but a must-have.

There are so many ways of approaching this. As in Apple iTunes, you can implement a function that allows the user to set whether it is a music playlist or an audio book playlist. You just have to provide the code that, similar to podcasts, the listening status is saved and a shuffle function in this playlist is not possible if the setting is chosen that it is an audio book playlist. The rest is then done by the user. Full stop.

You have less work...

Be creative for once.

Why don't you just do it?!

SpotiJo

Please Spotify.... add this function

Stephan14

I sadly come to the conclusion that only changing the provider will solve my problem. 

SpotiJo

well spotify disappoints you