Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Other] Bookmark audio books and separate them from music

Please implement bookmarks for audio books and separate them from music.

There was an idea for bookmarks in audio books. Sadly it was closed, because one half of the idea (save the position in podcasts) has been implemented, even though nearly all of the 30 pages was about people wanting this for audio books.

As the moderator posted "If you'd like to see the same behaviour for audio books, we'd recommend making a new Community Idea for this.", so this is it.

There are many other audio book bookmarks requests, but they were all closed as duplicates because of the now closed idea. 

As an additional aspect to this, please ensure a separate handling / tagging of audio books and music. When alternating between listening to audio books and music the Spotify engine starts putting book chapters in your recommendation playlists, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

01/2023: It's astonishing that Spotify keeps steadfast in ignoring this simple and annoying issue. Getting a best of 2022 list with chapters of audio books still isn't a good idea. 

Updated on 2020-02-24

Hey folks,

We appreciate you coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks 

Comments
nemecsek

Audiobooks completely unusable. As soon as a song is listened, the position in the audiobook is lost. Like we are in 1990. And our requests for something so basic completely neglected.
To end "The pillars of the earth" I resorted lending the 12 CDs from  the public library because I was continuously losing the position, when listening to any song in the web browser...

Stephan14

Mid 2022 and still missing the same basic feature. So sad...

Elisastck

I would love it if audio books were recognised as such and the individual chapters were not equated with tracks from normal music albums. Instead, it would make sense if audiobooks were treated as podcasts, or were given the same function, so that you can continue listening where you left off, even if you have listened to something else in the meantime. That way, you wouldn't have to remember which chapter you stopped at, but could jump straight back in.

Saby

Spotify thinks I love an author (= interpret) of a book because I have listened to more than 1000 different tracks of his/her audio book (= album). In my "shared mix" playlist with another user, it shows me some tracks from different audio books, which is annoying when you really only want to listen to music. In my review of year, Spotify always shows me some audio book interprets at 1st place because I listened to two big books (more than 1500 tracks). Although that review is supposed to be about music/podcast. Music and audio books are equal on Spotify.

All audio book titles and interprets should have their own tag so that Spotify can recognize them from normal music and do not mix it with music in other automatically generated playlists. I would also like to introduce a separate category (audio books) for the review of the year.

_Kai

This is a must have - I’m surprised and disappointed that it’s marked as ‘not right now’. 

You need to be able to mark good ideas that you’d like to revisit while going through an audiobook or a podcast, doing so (for me personally) significantly increases the chances I’d retain concepts I find interesting and share them forward. 

It doesn’t have to be a complicated bookmarking system like Audible (mostly useless with the clips and stuff) but just a simple save this point in the book system and maybe in the future add a note, that’s it. Also have it available across all devices including the Apple Watch. 

Jedy1974

Separate music from books in order to have clean playlists, mixtapes etc. There is no sense that in my favorite music list are several book chapters! if there is no solution the mixtapes etc. are sensless for me.

simply_live

I cannot believe that is not a thing. There should be a clear distinction between songs, audio books, and podcasts.

BerndMs

bookmarks for audiobooks that shows you how far you've listened to an audiobook would be great. Often audiobooks consist of several short tracks. If you listen to music in between, you can't see where you stopped in Spotify.

kismeteffect

Why is this not implemented yet? Audiobooks should have a seperate category with bookmarks like podcasts.

I have to stop listening to music for weeks or take screenshots all the time to keep track of my audiobooks.

Also in a seperate category they wouldn't mess with your mixtapes!

agentkodiak

The idea to customize your start screen has over 10,000 likes and is 5 years old.  They marked it with "Not Right Now".  I wouldn't expect any kind of development on this ever.