Announcements

[Other] Prevent playing the same song again soon

I usually play stuff on spotify by using the "play" button for an artist and letting Spotify figure out what to play, or use artist radio.

This has one big downside: Many artists have many version of the same song (often identical recordings on different albums, sometimes live and studio version, sometimes remixes, etc.) so I end up listening to the same song multiple times, often even back-to-back (and sometimes even the exact same track, for some reason...).

It seems that Spotify could very well at least try to minimize this. It should not be too easy to figure out which tracks refer to the same song based on the artist and title, and remixes are usually also marked in the title. It might not be possible to do this perfectly (though I guess some AI/learning implementation will get there), but even a simple name-based matching will probably be more than good enough (and the worst thing that could happen is skipping some track that was not really duplicate, which is ok).

This should probably be opt-in (i.e. play what the user asks by default, but allow the user to enable this feature). Maybe enabling this separately for "normal" duplicates and "remixes" would make sense, though I guess most people that enable this would also want to skip remixes.

I can imagine this would work based on songs played in the current playlist/playqueue (i.e. since you pressed play on something), or even just take into account all playing history (i.e. skip songs that have been played the last 24h or so).

Note that this is essentiallly a repost of https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Radio-Prevent-Repeats/idi-p/4578922 (but note that https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Radio-Generate-more-varied-content/idi-p/4989773 is marked as a repost of that idea, but is really a different request to this and that one).

Updated on 2022-08-04

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Comments
Eni
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2022-08-04

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Env: prod