Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Partnership] Spotify for KaiOS

With the Nokia 8810 being released in a couple of months, it would be excellent to have spotify running on this device. Furthermore, KaiOS is currently running on roughly 30million devices worldwide and growing. 

Updated on 2019-09-06

Hey folks,

We wanted to post an update as this idea has reached over 1000 votes from our users.

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment. We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance.

The best place to keep an eye on is our blog for news updates about any such partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas and give us feedback in our Idea Exchange.

Comments
albi17

Hello,

Is there any update? 

gloomyhen

I own a CAT B35 which is also running on KaiOS. I would love to listen to my Spotify-Library. Please make it possible! Thanks!

emircem_gezer

Hey Developer Here!

After one and a half year, i suppose there won't be official support to kaios. But i'm curious, what will happen we develop an opensource client for kaios using an API supported by spotify? What will spotify say to that? Is spotify willing to help and test such project and put that client to the kaios store?

albi17

@emircem_gezer wrote:

Hey Developer Here!

After one and a half year, i suppose there won't be official support to kaios. But i'm curious, what will happen we develop an opensource client for kaios using an API supported by spotify? What will spotify say to that? Is spotify willing to help and test such project and put that client to the kaios store?

Looking to this one is there any help provided by spotify? 

melojeand

THIS HAS TO HAPPEN!!!!!

@emircem_gezer wrote:

Hey Developer Here!

emircem_gezer

@albi17 yes, they send me url to spotify api documentation. I'm looking for to buy a nokia 8110 for testing its capabilities. 

Daantjuhh132

@emircem_gezerLet me know if you need testers! Also, make sure to post on the Bananahackers google groups forum, there are a lot of active developers who have Nokia 8110's who are keen to help you!

Let me know if I can do anything!

jcrags-nl

The only real problem here is that you would have to leave the phone "Opened" all the time, because for instance with Youtube Premium on an iPhone you could simply "Close"/"Lock" your iphone while youtube will still play musci/video's in the background. I tested this on my Nokia 8110 but the thing is that you neither can't go to the "Home" screen, nor can you close your "Keypad"/"Phone" because it will stop playing music. Even if you leave it open after a few seconds (30 or so) the phone automatically "Closes"/"Locks" which also leads into the player being stopped (and any app). So this is also a think to take into account. But even with this problem Spotify is really an App that I am missing on this phone 😞

Daantjuhh132

@jcrags-nl While that is true for the stock rom, the build in music player is able to keep playing even when the screen is off. Also, there are possibilities build in for multitasking, they are just not bound to buttons in KaiOS as it is right now. Take a look at GerdaOS, the community build ROM for Nokia8110, with possibility to multitask :).

TomLegend
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2019-09-06

Hey folks,

We wanted to post an update as this idea has reached over 1000 votes from our users.

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment. We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance.

The best place to keep an eye on is our blog for news updates about any such partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas and give us feedback in our Idea Exchange.