Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Sorting Options for List of Playlists

I would love to be able to sort my playlists by Artists, then drill down by album so as not to clutter my Spotify. It's pretty hard to organize my playlists the current way. Any ideas on a future iteration that will enable this capability?

Updated on 2019-06-25

Hey folks,

Slight update to this idea, which we think is worth highlighting. With the recent update to Your Library on mobile, it's now possible to sort and filter your Playlists, Artists and Albums in more ways. 

To find the filters, just pull down on the tab you're on, select filters and then choose the one you'd like. The 'Custom Order' filter on the Playlist section will mirror the order you have on Desktop - which means it's now possible to maintain the way your organise your tunes on Desktop across to Mobile. 

We'd recommend checking out this Spotify Answer for tips on how to add playlist folders using the desktop app. They're super handy for keeping your music organized.

With the search function at the top it's also possible to drill down by Artist in your Album section. To do so, just pull down and type the name of the artist you're looking for. 

Will now mark this idea as Implemented.

Thanks!

Comments
fackkyou

Why doesn't Spotiy allow to sort all playlist to alphabetical order? This has been requested for years. Why is Spotify not listening?

Sweetlucille

To not be able to browse by artist is like saying you can drive a car with wheels that don't fit your car. This needs added years ago. Not all of us want playlists.  Lay off the Playlist heavy garbage and give better, more user friendly and intelligent options.

mawthorn

Sweetlucille's comment (not so sweet 🙂 in tone) is spot on. Long term, surely it's better for Spotify to do the smart stuff rather than pander to the first things the average user might think of. I'm getting old and starting to lose some faith in democracy 🙂 or at least think it needs tempering with expert advice.

mawthorn

Sweetlucille's comment (though not too sweet in tone 🙂 ) is spot on. Surely it is better in the long term for Spotify to focus on the smart stuff rather than pander to the first thing the average user thinks of. I'm getting old and starting to lose a bit of my faith in democracy and market force - or at least think it needs tempering with some expert advice.

disneybuff2002

Drag and drop is a pretty common standard. Even crappy YouTube has that option, so something higher class like Spotify should have that feature. People actually DO want to change the order sometimes for various reasons, so give us the option to drag/drop to rearrange.

Terraplane

Please add this feature! So easy to do, so many happy users!

Terraplane

Four thousand two-hundred votes for this simple feature and it's still classified "Not now." How many votes does it take, guys? This is a no-brainer.

disneybuff2002

So it appears that this is an option, but it's difficult to know that it is. If you click and drag a song, you can reposition it...desktop version only, though, because the app doesn't have this feature. Go figure.

This needs an anchor that you can clearly see and drag. I sort of stumbled into the drag/drop option.

One thing to remember is that if you need to scroll past what is visible on the screen, it may display a mouse pointer that you can't do that operation. It means you've gone to far past the screen where it recognizes it. Just reposition the pointer a little closer to the edge where the songs are, and it will slowly scroll where you want it.

It would have been nice for Spotify to have responded with "we heard you and did this for you" rather than having an open forum posting for years with people not knowing. I wouldn't have known except by accident.

Communication would have been nice, and having an anchor that is fairly standard would have been nice to see too.

Eiher way you can drag/drop a song to reposition it.

stockba
phuc drag and drop- the people got 8K playlists!
Terraplane
Manual sorting is precisely what most of us on this thread are trying to
escape. If you have 300 songs in a playlist (or 300 playlists), it's
impractically tedious to manually click-drag each one.

Alpha sorting was one of the first-ever functions of electronic computing.
Why the heck does Spotify resist providing this function, in the face of
literally thousands of requests???