Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Playlists] Add the same song to multiple playlists simultaneously

There is no reason why Spotify shouldn't have a functionality on at least the desktop app where you can drag one song into as many "selected" playlists as you want and have that song added to all of them at the same time…

Here's a little more info to back up this request:

I'm, for one, the kind of person who obsesses over music, and a huge component of that is the way in which I organize my playlists.

I believe it is probably safe to say that most people wish their music was better organized, but the primary reason why they aren't is simply the amount of time it takes to put together quality playlists. Instead, what most people end up with are a small handful of enormous playlist hundreds, if not thousands, of songs that have no rhyme or reason to why they are in the same playlists.

To avoid this dilemma, I have spent hours and hours sorting through all my favorite songs and making different types of playlists that they may fit into. One thing I learned early on is that a particular song is likely going to fit into multiple playlists, and this is where the problem lies and the primary reason why most people avoid making well thought out playlists altogether.

In order to add a song to all the playlists I want, I have to sit at my computer and continuously drag a new song I want put into different playlists into each individual one over and over again which, when organizing dozens or even hundreds of songs, can take an insane amount of unnecessary time. And that is if you happen to be creating and organizing playlists on the desktop app… if you are trying to do this on your phone, you might as well forget about it - it would take you an hour to add 20 different songs to 10 different playlists.

That is why I believe Spotify should add a function (starting on desktop and eventually moving onto mobile like they are likely to do with the "folders" for playlists) in which a single song can be added to multiple playlists at the same time.

Attached is a picture originally posted by a subscriber named anaraee who had requested this a few years ago, but apparently wasn't able to get enough traction then... hopefully this time will be different.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-14%20at%202.00.12%20AM.png

Updated on 2021-06-04

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
needforname

Dozens of people requesting this blatantly obvious feature, yet continue to ignore their users. God this irks me to no end. There is absolutely no reasonable explanation as to why this feature has not been implemented, or why dozens of complaints and requests over the years continue to be ignored. At least provide some feedback and mention why this isn't a necessary feature. Not only is this very time wasting, it's unsafe for those who will add tunes to playlists while driving (not condoning this, but it surely happens). And while you're at it Spotify, add a feature to inform users of duplicate tracks. Often times the same song will be on multiple albums (greatest hits, etc), and we unknowignly add or save the same song multiple times. Another blatantly obvious feature that has not been impelemented (at least not through all devices). Spotify should hire me to make their app way better. 

n841-tiz_2xpf

For how much I appreciate Spotify, It's ridicolous this is in Not Right Now status. How difficult could it be to add this feature. As well on the app and open Spotify we should be able to select more than one playlist at the time. I have tons of playlists and have to sometimes go and add the same song manually 8-10 times. Huge waste of time helloooooo!? 

n841-tiz_2xpf

@hathor wrote:

Come on spotify give us this simple feature, especially on mobile clients. It could be triggered with a simple "long tap" gesture on a single playlist in the "add to playlist" dialog from the Android app. I desperately need this as a Spotify 'poweruser'.

Exactly what I thought of: a long two til a tick appears. Come on guys, 2.5 years. 

Thenubs

Agreed indeed. This is a much needed feature! Please reconsider implementing this sooner rather than later.

YES, please! 

I've been wanting this for a long time.

Wontonto

Speaking as someone who has +12 dedicated playlists that are continually growing, some of which have over 1000 songs in them, this feature is a MUST for me. I don't even listen to the Radio station while I'm at work, because if I come across a song that fits in +3 playlists then I have to add that song to each one individually and if I come across 20 songs I like then it becomes impossible, as my job is very hands on and forces me to be constantly active. And if I miss a song (I've missed heaps) then I lose the chance to add them. (I don't bother with the history).
Please revise this feature and implement it! It's a minor feature that can make a huge difference. 

jose6545

I had this design idea @meahtenoha

Add to more playlists.png 
Add to more playlists2.png

n841-tiz_2xpf

Once more, please enable this insanely simple feature. It's a small change that - as many said - can make a huge difference. I do 80% of my cratedigging on Spotify and I spot at least 20 new songs a day that NEED to go in 6 different playlists. You do the math.

It's honestly one of the biggest frustrations (yes 1st world problems) since it's such a simple feature to implement.

Come on guys.

needforname

To the recent comment. Don't hold your breath. The Spotify staff don't care. This is a simple and obvious feature to add, yet year after year they continue to fail to implement it. Just like the inability to remove a song from a playlist on my iPhone. Blatantly obvious features that continue to go ignored. It's mind boggling how inept these companies become. It's as if they don't even use the app themselves. If they did, they'd realize what a frustration it is to have to manually add a song to multiple playlists. Such a waste of **bleep** time. Yes, first world problems, as you mentioned. But still, when paying $15 a month for this service, you'd think they'd at least provide a logical reason why they don't add these obvious and simple features.  

kpollin

YES - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE add a way to add one song to multiple playlists at once.  Super inefficient to do it over and over again. PLEASE!