Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Limit Editing Access in Collaborative Playlists

This problem has already been addressed in other ideas quite a few times, so I'll make it brief. At the moment, anyone can edit a collaborative playlist. There are numerous ways to solve this, e.g. granting the creator the right to put people on blacklists or whitelists. Another easy fix that might be a separate link for the creator to share only with persons who shoud be able to add and delete song! It would already help a lot 🙂

Hey everyone!

We're happy to announce that you will soon have new options for managing collaborative playlists - they are rolling out to everyone over the coming weeks.

Users will have the ability to review who currently has access to individual playlists, share collaborative playlists with large public groups, or keep them small and private for that special tightly-knit group of friends.

You will be able to:
  • Pick your favorites. As a playlist creator, you can now invite or remove users from collaborating on your playlists, meaning there’s more control over who has access to editing the content you love.
  • Share privately. You can now set your collaborative playlists to private, so no one can view, search, listen to or share a playlist– except for those chosen few who have been invited or given collaborative access.
  • Change your mind? At any given time, a playlist owner has the power to see, add and remove who gets to collaborate and follow their playlists.
For details on how the feature works, see:

Because of this change, this other idea is also being implemented. 

If you don't see this yet, don't worry. Just make sure to keep your app up to date and it should be available for you soon. 

Thanks for giving us your feedback in the Community.
Comments
gnnWoXfRBJ

Hey there!

I have a collaborative playlist with some friends and all of them are regularly adding songs. And we would like to share the playlist with some other friends as well.

The problem is: If set to collaborative, everyone could add or even delete songs.

My suggestion is: Provide some way to have a small group of owners or rather users with editing permissions - and don't allow any changes by Spotify users not in the group. Or at least one co-author instead of a group.

FocusForte

This just seems like such a common sense thing to me, it's baffling to me that collaborative playlists have no way to control who is able to edit them. 

I was actually really confused when I set my playlist to collaborative and it didn't give me any way to add a specific person to collaborate on it. It wasn't until doing a quick google search I realized it worked by just automatically granting access to my entire friend list, which is kind of appalling. 

They should change all playlists in the "edit" menu to just "Add Contributors". Then it would solve their issue of not allowing collaborative playlists to be public. If the playlist was public, it would still show up on the profile of the owner of the playlist, even though it has multiple contributors.

Feat44

Random people add songs to the playlist i only shared with a friend because it's only possible to make a playlist public collaboratively for everyone or make it private... This is very annoying

Jacob
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-05-21

This suggestion is now open for voting! If this idea gets enough votes, Spotify will check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

fawnling

it worries me knowing that random people can add songs to a playlist my friend and I are working on together! it should be allowed to be collaborated on privately via sharing the link with the person as if it was google docs or something, haha.

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2021-06-05

Hey! Looks like that your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and I hope it continues to be supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your idea. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

zouset

This is an extremely critical issue that needs to be taken care of. I've been seeing persistent spammers in some of the collaborative playlists I listen to. Not just one user, too. Spammers that I've seen have been removing all of the previous songs and proceed to replace them with large amounts of random songs. Hundreds of them, sometimes thousands. I'm a collaborator and I can't really do much about it. This issue makes listening to collaborative playlists such a berating experience.

It would be great if there's a way to block/restrict spam users from interacting with the playlist.

Another alternative is providing a "spam" category in the content report support, specifically for account reports. This enables users to report playlist spammers individually. Individual reports could help in both identifying and removing spammers from the community. Though, as mentioned in the main article, creating whitelists and blacklists should already be helpful.

judsonmgeorge

This idea needs to push through!!! I have experienced too much vandalism on community playlists. I have also read so many of these ideas that include people having the exact same issue. 

nuhtahleeah

This is such a good idea. I thought it would be common sense and didn't realize my collaborative playlist with my significant other was public until another user started adding random songs to it. Eventually, another internet troll added more random songs to it and all the songs (including the songs I intentionally added) were eventually deleted by someone. This is so annoying and disheartening could have easily been prevented if Spotify implemented these ideas, including an "Add Contributors" option.  

EmirBaynazoglu

I think we need a setting where we decide who can edit the collaborative playlists we create.