Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] More Playlist Sorting Options/Columns

Sort options within Spotify are severely lacking.

First, what's lacking outright:

sort by year, total plays, personal playcount, current popularity, genre, tempo, etc.

On top of that, sorting should be stackable, e.g. sort by album by year, or sort artist by total plays, etc.

This could apply to within the artists' pages as well, allowing us to sort through all their songs to better find music that suits our tastes.

Updated on 2020-01-23

Hi folks. Thanks for all your votes and comments. We like this idea, but at the moment we're not planning to do this.

If something should change we'll be sure to come back and provide an update.

Comments
vjandrea

I'd love to see a "Release date" column

goldman1337

at the very least adding year to be able to order by it and get an ordered by release list would be good

noahgambles

I just want to make a playlist with one artist's discography in chronological order. What I need is a release date column. On Windows.

Playing from artist page doesn't work for me, because the artist in question has worked with a **bleep** offender or two that I refuse to support financially, so my goal is to make a discography playlist and remove the songs with problematic artists. (FYI: Fat Nick and Pouya are actual rapists. Look for the Twitter thread.) So, making a discography playlist: how hard can it be? Well...

• From the artist page, I would have to
  1. select all songs from a given EP/LP
  2. drag to playlist in sidebar, or right click and select "add to playlist" > playlistName.
  3. Multiplied by every EP or LP.
  • For "Appears On" (features), it gets worse:
  1. click the project
  2. find the songs featuring the artist
  3. add to playlist
  4. navigate backwards to get to the next project.
  5. Multiplied by every featured track.

What I should be able to do:

1. Go to artist page
  2. Select all tracks > Add to playlist
  3. Sort playlist by release date and play as is, or copy sorted playlist to new playlist for a permanently chronological discography playlist.

The problem with this is that selecting songs from multiple albums at once on artist page is not supported, and "Appears On" tracks are hidden behind another layer of navigation, so they can't be multi-selected.

The easy way would be to

1. search artist name
  2. sort by release date
  3. select all > add to playlist

However, the order of tracks in search results is based on popularity, so there is no chance of this method being feasible: the songs from a given project are interspersed with others, and the resulting playlist would be a mess. For search results, it's not even possible to click a column to sort (by album in this case) so I can cross reference my new playlist with artist page and then sort whole projects by date manually. Column sorting should be enabled for search results. You might think this isn't an option because sorting very long search results is resource-intensive. However, the feature could be disabled for results of >= X length — say, 100 or 500 results — and they are already sorted by popularity, so this is bogus.

I should at least have the option to enable a release date column that I can use to sort playlists and search results. iTunes had this figured out over a decade ago. I have paid Spotify hundreds of dollars over the years, and they are still so far behind. I just want to listen to one of my favorite artists for a couple hours without supporting rapists. Is that too much to ask?!?

Another solution for me would be to permanently forbid playing songs by a particular artist. Like a blocked list. This isn't an option either. The lack of this effectively ruins playing from some artist pages or community playlists for me, and forces me to make playlists. Also, playing from artist page doesn't play "Appears On" tracks.

Right now the absurd, convoluted solution to making a chronological discography playlist is this:

1. Search artist name
  2. Select all and add to playlist 1
  3. Sort playlist 1 by album
  4. Select all and add to playlist 2
  5. Go to artist page and find earliest project
  6. Go to playlist 2
  7. Move earliest project to top of playlist (or bottom depending on desired order)
  8. Repeat steps 5-8 for every project
  9. Use Google to determine which LPs/EPs/features from the same year came first and adjust accordingly

What a pain. I thought I was using the best music streaming service out there. I'm starting to think I was wrong.

JustWilhelm

This really needs to happen. I'd love to be able to listen to my playlists in release order without having to laboriously create new playlists that I'll probably end up deleting immediately. Such as shame they decided to "not right now" this over A YEAR ago. Spotify is very convenient, but its also lacking in key functionality.

1o_ma0969-x3b

It's been almost 10 years and you still haven't added extra columns to the List View!
I could really use song release year so I can see whether something fits in my decades playlists without having to open up each album, or in the case of compilations - google searching the song year. Other columns like genre, number of plays, track number (!!!) -- would be great so I can move away from iTunes.

wildest

Absurd we cannot customize the columns for local files when this metadata has been standardized for more than 20 years.

jlsea5817

Sort by Last Played, so I can stop hearing the same 20 songs on my 1200 song playlist.

matt2meyer

Would like to sort by Liked/Heart songs within any playlist too.  Please and thankyou!

binklee

I ABSOLUTELY want to have smart playlists (based on genre, year, keywords, etc.) based on what is in my library!!!!

Saggit

BPM column in playlist UI from song metadata. Display the value and sort tracks by it. Please-please-please!