[Playlists] More Playlist Sorting Options

Sort options within Spotify are severely lacking.

First, what's lacking outright:

sort by year, total plays, personal playcount, current popularity, genre, tempo, etc.

On top of that, sorting should be stackable, e.g. sort by album by year, or sort artist by total plays, etc.

This could apply to within the artists' pages as well, allowing us to sort through all their songs to better find music that suits our tastes.

Lastly, this could lend itself to the creation of smart playlists, e.g. a playlist that pulls songs from my collection (or from another playlist) that are within a certain genre and released in a particular year.

iTunes has had these features for many, many years - it's time that Spotify catch up!

Updated on 2018-10-11

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Comments
MaxxDelusional
Casual Listener

I wish Playlists had a 'random' sort. I know I can turn on shuffle while playing music, but I often turn shuffle off when listening to albums. When I go back to listen to my playlist, it always starts with the first song.

I wish I could periodically randomize the order of the songs, or have a "Shuffle by Default" option when playing a playlist.

mikeylikeymusic
Casual Listener

Happy to see other users care about these issues as well!

shelbyyvonnee
Regular

seriously, why can't i sort my library/playlists by year or genre??? this is SO BASIC for every other media player that has ever existed.

frankvanhuet

Also just very basic sorting like reverse ordering, so that last added songs are on top. I love spotify but it annoys the **bleep** out of me that the last added songs are on the bottom of the list and I need to scroll down on my iphone just to click the last few songs to hear for a short drive etc.

This is that basic, other music services have this already for ages. I love spotify as it integrates so well, with my other devices, car stereo, etc. but this simple (and sure not hard to implement) option would take away a major annoyance.

TTilawok
Regular

I agree! We need a way to organize playlists. Search would help a lot, also the ability to tag playlists or place them into folders related to genre or custom user generated labels. 

anitagrott

totally agree!

Inspktr

Yes! YES!!

Please.

zhjhalls

A Great Idea! I think even implementing a proper playlist editor which isn't confined by the RHS would be a start. Such a shame it hasn't been done already. I sort of expected this sort of thing when I joined.

ritz23-cabz
Gig Goer

SORT OF

imTimothyLee

@fair11sc wrote:

When on the desktop version of Spotify, and on a Mac, go to File > New Playlist Folder.

I'm sure it is very similar on a PC as well.

I didn't know that neither!

Now we need a right click refferal "move to folder"

thnx :-)