[Playlists] More Playlist Sorting Options

Sort options within Spotify are severely lacking.

First, what's lacking outright:

sort by year, total plays, personal playcount, current popularity, genre, tempo, etc.

On top of that, sorting should be stackable, e.g. sort by album by year, or sort artist by total plays, etc.

This could apply to within the artists' pages as well, allowing us to sort through all their songs to better find music that suits our tastes.

Lastly, this could lend itself to the creation of smart playlists, e.g. a playlist that pulls songs from my collection (or from another playlist) that are within a certain genre and released in a particular year.

iTunes has had these features for many, many years - it's time that Spotify catch up!

Updated on 2018-10-11

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Comments
xfehxd

Yes, totally necessary if Spotify wants to be on par with "normal" music players.

The filtera andsearch options are VERY poor.

I like listening to albums and it's a big chore if you want to have some kind of organization.

This would be a big change to make life using it easier.

shovlin03
Casual Listener

i believe this to be absolutely a useful tool... if can sort by year will help identify songs from specific decades easier within a playlist for help creating new playlists... also could be like a countdown to the latest songs in your playlist over a specific decade...

Rock Star 18
Rock Star 18

These kinds of searches are an evidence when we work on such a big data base.

art1976

Playlist can just add "songs" but can't have "album playlist" or "band playlist". i would love to create a playlist like top 20 best thrash meal album or favorite 30 thrash matal bands into my playlist. but it's not allowed. it will be very convenient if playlist allows users to add "albums" or "bands" but  not only "songs"

art1976

Playlist can just add "songs" but can't have "album playlist" or "band playlist". i would love to create a playlist like top 20 best thrash meal album or favorite 30 thrash matal band into my playlist. but it's not allowed. it will be very convenient if playlist allows users to add "albums" or "bands" but  not only "songs"

bennettdouglas

I literally just logged on to present this idea. I would love to be able to sort my songs in my playlists by personal plays and total playcount!!! 

gnumoksha
Regular

It is annoying the lack of sort options.

drunkenpumpkin
Regular

Yes. This

I love spotify and not having to worry about having a physical music library anymore

But I miss being able to track (accurately):

- What I've listened to

- How many times I've listened to it, and

- When I've listened to it

I base most of my favourites playlists on these stats and put the tracks I listen to the most and the most recently

I love being able to see what year an album is as well, as I create a lot of playlists based on decades/eras

haqim30

It’d be good to also add sort order from oldest to newest

user-removed
Not applicable

Can this include sort by track #, by album? Some albums are put together, by the artists, with the specific intent that songs be listened to in a particular order, and having to manually do that by checking wikipedia for the track list and dragging songs around. Pretty silly, given that this is what computers are particularly good at.