Announcements

[Playlists] More Playlist Sorting Options

Sort options within Spotify are severely lacking.

First, what's lacking outright:

sort by year, total plays, personal playcount, current popularity, genre, tempo, etc.

On top of that, sorting should be stackable, e.g. sort by album by year, or sort artist by total plays, etc.

This could apply to within the artists' pages as well, allowing us to sort through all their songs to better find music that suits our tastes.

Lastly, this could lend itself to the creation of smart playlists, e.g. a playlist that pulls songs from my collection (or from another playlist) that are within a certain genre and released in a particular year.

iTunes has had these features for many, many years - it's time that Spotify catch up!

Updated on 2020-01-23

Hi folks. Thanks for all your votes and comments. We like this idea, but at the moment we're not planning to do this.

If something should change we'll be sure to come back and provide an update.

Comments
Mcoops
Casual Listener

Seriously... ?!?!?! 

NOT PLANNING TO DO THIS ?? With no explanation?? 

Literally thousands of posts on this request across the last 6 YEARS!!!  and all you can come back with is ' We like this idea, but at the moment we're not planning to do this'....

WHY NOT??

Common Spotify, you need to do better. 😞

vwguy16
Visitor

As a developer, I find it hard to believe that a feature as useful (and simple) as sorting your playlists is not something you are wanting to do. A quick search shows that people have been asking for this feature for 9 years  (2012) !!  

Come on Spotify!

djMaximizer
Regular

I support this idea, it would be convenient for DJs (year, genre, bpm, tonality, smart playlists..)

embql

You can use third-party (well, 1st-party since the dev is with Spotify afaik) tools for now:
http://sortyourmusic.playlistmachinery.com/
http://organizeyourmusic.playlistmachinery.com/

Hope it helps!

musicorumgenius
Composer

PLEASE  AND THANK YOU!!!!!!

MaxFactor
Casual Listener

Even adding Genre to the search results would be helpful. It's pretty useless now unless you are looking for something really specific.

JustWilhelm
Visitor

This really needs to happen. I'd love to be able to listen to my playlists in release order without having to laboriously create new playlists that I'll probably end up deleting immediately. Such as shame they decided to "not right now" this over A YEAR ago. Spotify is very convenient, but its also lacking in key functionality.