Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Only selected Playlist Authors for Collaborative Playlist

Hi!

Recently, me and a few friends have started to get this kick ass playlist together of the music we all share and like. Obviously Spotify is the best way to do this. However, a playlist can only be managed by one single user.

Wouldn't it be a great idea that the 'founder' of the playlist can assign co-authors?

Would love to hear the feedback!

Hey everyone,

We're happy to announce that you will soon have new options for managing collaborative playlists - they are rolling out to everyone over the coming weeks.

Users will have the ability to review who currently has access to individual playlists, share collaborative playlists with large public groups, or keep them small and private for that special tightly-knit group of friends.

You will be able to:
  • Pick your favorites. As a playlist creator, you can now invite or remove users from collaborating on your playlists, meaning there’s more control over who has access to editing the content you love.
  • Share privately. You can now set your collaborative playlists to private, so no one can view, search, listen to or share a playlist– except for those chosen few who have been invited or given collaborative access.
  • Change your mind? At any given time, a playlist owner has the power to see, add and remove who gets to collaborate and follow their playlists.
For details on how the feature works, see:

Because of this change, this other idea is also being implemented. 

If you don't see this yet, don't worry. Just make sure to keep your app up to date and it should be available for you soon. 

Thanks for giving us your feedback in the Community.
Comments
Rocio

Hello guys!

Ive merged a similar idea to this one, Ive also added the kudos amount.

Good idea!

Thanks for the feedback 🙂

Ibwan

Just adding a quick suggestion on how this could be implimented without too much development.

Each playlist would have two share urls associated with it.  Only people that have the collaboration url will be able to modify the playlist.

In the interests of security, it would probably be a good idea to reset the collab url if you were to disable and re-enable the collaboration option, so if the url gets into the wrong hand, you can just generate a new url without killing off the subscribers.

If I create a collaborative playlist with a friend and then I delete the playlist will it still exist in my friend's account?

Peter__

@jarefri yes 😉 

Peter

MikeB

Good idea, it sucks that when a playlists is collaborative everyone who has the link can change it.

Seanom

This would be great from within the Web player.

It does not look like it is currently possible from the web player options?

marshuck

Where is the collaborative URL? Is that a feature available now?  Thanks.

krikelin

I think this is possible for staff playlists.

See, for example Spotify Reception mix radio, has entries from multiple authors. It seems that there is a lot of hidden features in Spotify, including multiple authors and playlist text that is only available to employees of Spotify. It is unlikely they are making the playlist collaborative for one second when adding the stuff and then lock it again.

BillaBobTnh

Agreed! More and more people are asking for access to one of my playlist that I have collaborative with one other friend. But I don't trust others to not change anything and therefore can't/will not share this with my other friends.

Should be an easy fix to make it so users/authors can give special privilege to others. Like it is with facebook-groups etc.

For example you can give another full access to change whatever they want, or you could restrict the person to only have access too add new songs, and no deleting.

This would make it possible to keep the list collaborative with the (trusted) friends and also give access to everyone else without jeopardizing the list(s).

krikelin

Might be the same case like with playlist text, there is a lot of hidden features only staff can use