Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Only selected Playlist Authors for Collaborative Playlist

Hi!

Recently, me and a few friends have started to get this kick ass playlist together of the music we all share and like. Obviously Spotify is the best way to do this. However, a playlist can only be managed by one single user.

Wouldn't it be a great idea that the 'founder' of the playlist can assign co-authors?

Would love to hear the feedback!

Hey everyone,

We're happy to announce that you will soon have new options for managing collaborative playlists - they are rolling out to everyone over the coming weeks.

Users will have the ability to review who currently has access to individual playlists, share collaborative playlists with large public groups, or keep them small and private for that special tightly-knit group of friends.

You will be able to:
  • Pick your favorites. As a playlist creator, you can now invite or remove users from collaborating on your playlists, meaning there’s more control over who has access to editing the content you love.
  • Share privately. You can now set your collaborative playlists to private, so no one can view, search, listen to or share a playlist– except for those chosen few who have been invited or given collaborative access.
  • Change your mind? At any given time, a playlist owner has the power to see, add and remove who gets to collaborate and follow their playlists.
For details on how the feature works, see:

Because of this change, this other idea is also being implemented. 

If you don't see this yet, don't worry. Just make sure to keep your app up to date and it should be available for you soon. 

Thanks for giving us your feedback in the Community.
Comments
ajlane60

One of several ideas they really should be considering with regard to ways to the level of access available for your playlists. Currently Public and Private is just way too primitive and limited for any ostensibly sophisticated platform. I don't know how many votes it takes to get things moving on these boards but it seems like most are totally ignored much of the time, except for closing off ideas that don't get enough "kudos". 

What's the point of a suggestion board if they are ignored?

DoomNation

It's not a big deal to get this done. If you can block artists from showing up in your library then why can't you block them from being added to your collaborative playlists?

Schooner

Just resurrecting this idea I've seen in above post and others.  My buddie and I have put a lot of time into curating a great collaborative playlist.  It would be great to share with other friends, but we don't want random people adding bad songs or deleting our favorites.  Surely, it must be possible control who has access to editing the playlist.  This would be huge!

DoomNation

I actually don't mind having random people contribute as long as it's appropriate for the theme. That's what makes it interesting. All that's really needed IMO is a way to ban certain users (or artists) that are always dropping tracks in there that you would have to delete or those who constantly vandalize your playlist for no other reason then to give you a hard time.

yoyoyoyoy

It would also be great if you could limit users to only adding and not removing songs.  Or limiting them to add only 1  song (or any number really).  This would allow collaborative playlists to be less subject to people who are not good citizens of the playlist and delete and bunch of songs and fill it full of their own songs.

RococoPossum

This really needs to be a feature. The playlist my best friend and I had got vandalized overnight by what seems like a bot account. The account removed over 800 songs we had added over the course of years!!

DoomNation

There's this one guy who is actually gaming the Algorithms by hijacking every collaborative playlist he can get his hands on. I just checked chart metrics and it shows all the collaborative playlists that he's on. He created fake curator accounts like "curatorgirl" "music recordss" and "claudiacuratorsugar" to try and dissociate himself from the activity. He jumped all the way to 50k listeners almost overnight by doing this. Been giving me nothing but constant problems. For a while I have been having to restore my lists daily, sometimes multiple times a day. He seems to target me specifically because I had the gall to DM him and politely ask him to stop. The Spotify Algorithms don't differentiate between people placing you on their personal playlist or you placing yourself on a Collaborative one. Check his Chartmetic. I won't mention his name but you will know once you have a look at  the above mentioned accounts. He's spamming his tracks all over every Collaborative list he can find and even deleting existing tracks only to make room for his. I even contacted support to try and complain, but unfortunately this is not against TOS. He doesn't have the Social Media or real YouTube views to corroborate his Spotify popularity. By taking care of this one guy, you'll be sparing many people of this kind of grief. 

DoomNation

I would be fine with the ability to allow anybody to add tracks but it makes no sense whatsoever to give delete rights to everybody who has a link to the list. If you only allow only the list owner the right delete other people's tracks, maintaining them would be so much easier than having to constantly backup and restore. 

DoomNation

An important reason why they need to implement this ASAP is that people are now hijacking collaborative playlists to counteract the effect that bought promos have on their algorithmic plays and FAL. Usually when you buy a spot on a playlist, in order for the curators to keep up the numbers they have to run bots on it. When this happens, artists usually lose their related artists and FAL because of all the dummy streams they get from the bots. This individual whom I am speaking of applied a workaround by adding themselves to as many collaborative playlists as possible with thousands of followers and clearing out all of the other artists and replacing them with tracks artists that they choose to be associated with. Sometimes they load their tracks literally thousands of times in one playlist. That way they can justify all the streams and listeners to the algorithms.  This particular individual (or entity) is grabbing every collaborative playlist they can find and ruining the experience for everyone else. I have screenshots of their songs on these promo playlists, social media account, Spotify profile. Mods, PM me if you want me to send them to you.

I don't care about being about being a snitch either. Why should the time, money, and all the hard work I've  done up to now, to get real listeners and fans be sabotaged by people who cheat and don't want to play fair?

Barnacle91

I think this idea is super easy and crucial to implement. I would like to maintain a playlist with my friend (2 admins of playlist) but I also want to be able to share them with my friends who should have “listen only” rights. Whenever I share a collaborative playlist, people who we are willing them to listen only can delete songs or add songs or change sequence of the songs. We don’t want that. Bring admin option to collaborative playlists.