Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] See which playlists a song has already been added to

Sometimes I think of or hear a song and I want to add it to a certain playlist but I’m not sure if it’s already in there, or I just want to know what playlists it’s in (e.g. I accidentally added the song to the wrong playlist and want to take it out, but wasn't sure which one I accidentally clicked/pressed on). It would be nice to to have a feature where you can check which playlists of yours a song has been added to. I know that you there’s a notification if it’s a duplicate, but it would be more convenient if the song is in multiple playlists to just see all of them at once rather than getting that notification one by one for all of them, if that make sense.

Edit: someone in the comments suggested having checkmarks next to the playlist names in the "Add to playlist" drop-down and that would be perfect!

Updated on 2024-02-09

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the support and feedback you've given to this idea!

We have some exciting news to share with you: you can now tap the green check mark icon Check Mark Icon.png of a song/episode to see which playlists it's been saved in! You also get quick access to all of your playlists in case you want to add the song/episode to (or remove it from) some of your other playlists:

The playlists the item's been saved in will also have a check mark.The playlists the item's been saved in will also have a check mark.

Thanks again for helping us make Spotify better. We're always striving to provide the best possible user experience and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Comments
aaronhall06

When you’re adding songs to your playlists, it should show a tick over the playlists that the songs are already in, like what instagram does with favourited posts. This would save time with adding songs and make sure you don’t have the same song multiple times in your playlists.

gpepepr

This is a function that I really wanted to have been implented already for years. I often take the time to search for new music. During this search I would like to be able to quickly see if I already have a song in one of my personal playlists. When looking at a new found playlist online, I want to quickly see how well it matches with my music taste by looking for songs that are also in my playlists. Sometimes, when listening to a new found album, I realize only after listening a few songs that I have already "checked" this album already before. That feels like a disappoint as I was looking for new music.

Fortunately I found a workaround. I make sure that I have downloaded all songs offline. Then an icon will show next to the song in playlist indicated that you have downloaded it. This way I can quickly see which songs are new when checking albums and artist pages. However, recently it seems that this downloaded icon doesn't work any more when songs I have appear in "radio based on song/artist/playlist " 

Anyway hopefully Spotify can implement this. It could also be implemented as an "experimental" option such that it turned off by default for users.  

sam248

Exactly what it says on the tin...

POV: You find a song you have previously liked already, and you have no clue what playlist you put it in because you've got like fifty different playlists.

There should be an option that shows you exactly what playlist(s) you already have the song in. Sometimes, I just want to know.

damianblacklock

This would be sooooo helpful to anybody who has a lot of playlists and doesn't want to add songs twice! The only other option is dragging the song to literally all your playlists one by one to see if you get the 'duplicate' message.

DenizGochan

Hello everyone,

It is nice to see that what I have been complaining for ages was found annoying by others as well. I designed an icon and a prototype for this problem on Figma.

https://www.figma.com/proto/sDk7wc57SafWyxKDpX3AWC/Spotify-List-Icon?page-id=0%3A1&node-id=13%3A30&v...

Edit: It will be easier to navigate if you click on "Fit- Scale down to fit" on options 🙂

yvfgqoxhtnn2j9p

YES!!!! This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! 

peacepuja

When we click the three dots (...) next to a song, we're able to add it to a playlist we made. When we hover over 'add', our playlists appear as a list. I think it would be extremely useful if there was a small icon or checkmark next to our playlists which we've already added songs to. I know there is a feature when we add a song to a playlist that shows up as an error button asking if we'd like to add it again if it's already there; but that doesn't serve quite the same function.

MafeG
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-09-24

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

bamesjond700

Situation: I want to add a song to a playlist.

Then spotify tells me, that the song is allready in the playlist...

I think it would be great, if there was a little indicator, that a song is allready in a playlist while i am trying to add it to a playlist.

For example a small point next to the playlists name so i know, in wich playlist the song allready exists, while i am adding it.

A small point next to the playlist, when i have rightclicked it and clickt on "add to playlist" would be a really cool and easy feature.

Thanks for reading!

MafeG
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-10-04

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!