Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] See which playlists a song has already been added to

Sometimes I think of or hear a song and I want to add it to a certain playlist but I’m not sure if it’s already in there, or I just want to know what playlists it’s in (e.g. I accidentally added the song to the wrong playlist and want to take it out, but wasn't sure which one I accidentally clicked/pressed on). It would be nice to to have a feature where you can check which playlists of yours a song has been added to. I know that you there’s a notification if it’s a duplicate, but it would be more convenient if the song is in multiple playlists to just see all of them at once rather than getting that notification one by one for all of them, if that make sense.

Edit: someone in the comments suggested having checkmarks next to the playlist names in the "Add to playlist" drop-down and that would be perfect!

Updated on 2024-02-09

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the support and feedback you've given to this idea!

We have some exciting news to share with you: you can now tap the green check mark icon Check Mark Icon.png of a song/episode to see which playlists it's been saved in! You also get quick access to all of your playlists in case you want to add the song/episode to (or remove it from) some of your other playlists:

The playlists the item's been saved in will also have a check mark.The playlists the item's been saved in will also have a check mark.

Thanks again for helping us make Spotify better. We're always striving to provide the best possible user experience and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Comments
Decorum

To jump on the coattails of this suggestion, if possible it would be nice to be alerted of a duplicate song even if its the same song but from a different album.

For instance, I add a Metallica song from their greatest hits to a playlist. Because that particular playlist is super random I don't remember exactly what I have there so a few months down the road I'll add the same song but it just so happens to be from a different album. Spotify currently does not notify by song duplicate. Just by album - song duplicate.

Hope this makes sense, ha!

TwoLeggedFreak

Honestly, an optional symbol(s) that appears near track titles, that at-a-glance lets you know which playlists those tracks are included in would be a godsend.

For example, an option for a playlist to have a ★ symbol attached to it, and then every song under that playlist would have that symbol in your liked library (or everywhere preferrably) to denote and let you easily know it's already in that specific playlist. Many different symbols would be great for many playlists, but I'd settle for one just to start with...

kanelita

Please, please, please!

Let us people with looooots of playlist that keep growing over time and who listen to so many different artists to know if a song has been "found" before.

Just like you have "popular songs" in an artist page, another section with "already on your playlists" (and extra points if it says in which one each)

And also, when listening to other peoples playlist, to easily see which songs are already on your "system".

Thanks a lot.

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2021-10-15

Hey! Looks like that your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues to be supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your idea. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

MalikDR
I’d like the chance to fix a rejected post as I’ve had the same idea and this was the solution the Spotify worker had. A little lazy to reject two clearly related ideas in my opinion but you DID make the best music app so I’ll easily overlook it. ❤️

“After clicking "add to playlist," playlists a song has already been added to (if any) will be greyed out, or otherwise differentiated from the other playlists.

This type of view would be very helpful for ppl who are particular about playlists.”

To add my own experience, often the iOS app glitches when I try to add a song to a playlist that I’ve already added to-forcing me to close the menu then click add to playlist again. But my solution solves this glich entirely as that wouldn’t be possible so why fix a potentially tedious problem when you could instead make your app more accessible entirely!

- I often only want a song on one playlist at a time and can't remember if it's  already been added to another.

AyrtonGomez

Love this idea so much, it will really help when adding songs to playlists from a the radio/mix u are listening to

AyrtonGomez
Sebax_aka_walker

Yeah, is a great idea! Deezer ,for example, has already this feature

Alex
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-10-17

Hello @MalikDR,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

PurpleFan

so wanted idea!!!!