Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] See which playlists a song has already been added to

Sometimes I think of or hear a song and I want to add it to a certain playlist but I’m not sure if it’s already in there, or I just want to know what playlists it’s in (e.g. I accidentally added the song to the wrong playlist and want to take it out, but wasn't sure which one I accidentally clicked/pressed on). It would be nice to to have a feature where you can check which playlists of yours a song has been added to. I know that you there’s a notification if it’s a duplicate, but it would be more convenient if the song is in multiple playlists to just see all of them at once rather than getting that notification one by one for all of them, if that make sense.

Edit: someone in the comments suggested having checkmarks next to the playlist names in the "Add to playlist" drop-down and that would be perfect!

Updated on 2024-02-09

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the support and feedback you've given to this idea!

We have some exciting news to share with you: you can now tap the green check mark icon Check Mark Icon.png of a song/episode to see which playlists it's been saved in! You also get quick access to all of your playlists in case you want to add the song/episode to (or remove it from) some of your other playlists:

The playlists the item's been saved in will also have a check mark.The playlists the item's been saved in will also have a check mark.

Thanks again for helping us make Spotify better. We're always striving to provide the best possible user experience and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Comments
ezgioner7

Happens a lot to me! I hear a song which I know that I have it in some playlist of mine. However, it takes a lot of time to find which playlist I have that song in. Sometimes, I cant even find the playlist, I add the song to a new playlist just to make sure that I do not lose the song. 😞

Len38

It's been 84 years.... 

allrenbo

Certainly something I miss big time.
When creating unique playlists, some songs are hard to classify. So there needs to be a way to keep track of songs that are already dropped in a playlist. Which shouldn't mean dropping them in 2 playlists shouldn't be possible! 😉

cellawright

Agreed -- would love the ability to look at a song and see which of my playlists it's already in!  E.g., A vague memory resurges of an amazing playlist you made for your college radio show years ago and you know it had "Crystal" - Stan Hubbs on it. The playlist was carefully constructed to optimize transitions and you want to hear it all again with "Crystal" in context. But you made so, so many playlists over the years for your weekly radio show. And trying to go through and search all of them for "Crystal" or "Stan" is a tedious process. Why not be able to tap into the "More options" 3 dots on a song and find which playlists of yours it already exists on? *Please* *weeping*

ChexMex

Hey everyone! Unfortunately it seems that spotify still hasn't decided to implement this feature. I made a website around 2 years ago that helps solve this exact issue on the site www.spotifyplaylistmanager.net.

I wanted to pub it again for newcomers to the thread because I just updated it! There's now an easy to use button to search for the currently playing song within the Multiple Playlist Searcher. Also, I updated the search algorithm so that it helps find songs that are duplicated on Spotify. For example, if there's a single and album version of the same exact song, then searching for one song will show the playlists either is in. Feel free to reach out if you have any problems or comments!

Kleen

Please bring back the ability to add/remove one song from multiple playlists. 

matt_s_s

I believe I was briefly a tester for a functionality that allowed me to not only add a song to multiple playlists, but also see which of my playlists the song already belonged to. It was wonderful and I would use this function almost daily. As a premium subscriber, this is certainly a function that would keep me a subscriber long term.

inthebahamas

Yes! Please bring this back! I’d love to play the personal playlist it’s in instead of racking, my brain, trying to remember which one it is in.

Sabinamartinez

Whenever I am listening to a song in my 'Liked Songs list’, I then add it to one of my many playlists. It has happened before, that I accidentally add the same song in a different playlist thinking i haven’t added them anywhere before.

My suggestion is to add a ‘tab’ where you can see if the song you are trying to save to a playlist is already in one. I believe that this idea would solve the problem *that at least I have* of adding songs to playlists by mistake. 

I hope you have understood my suggestion, English is not my first language. I tried my best to explain the idea I had in mind.  Greetings xx 

LaggyKar

When you're shuffling a folder with multiple playlists, there should be a way to see which playlist each track in the queue come from, or at least the currently playing track.