Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] See which playlists a song has already been added to

Sometimes I think of or hear a song and I want to add it to a certain playlist but I’m not sure if it’s already in there, or I just want to know what playlists it’s in (e.g. I accidentally added the song to the wrong playlist and want to take it out, but wasn't sure which one I accidentally clicked/pressed on). It would be nice to to have a feature where you can check which playlists of yours a song has been added to. I know that you there’s a notification if it’s a duplicate, but it would be more convenient if the song is in multiple playlists to just see all of them at once rather than getting that notification one by one for all of them, if that make sense.

Edit: someone in the comments suggested having checkmarks next to the playlist names in the "Add to playlist" drop-down and that would be perfect!

Updated on 2024-02-09

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the support and feedback you've given to this idea!

We have some exciting news to share with you: you can now tap the green check mark icon Check Mark Icon.png of a song/episode to see which playlists it's been saved in! You also get quick access to all of your playlists in case you want to add the song/episode to (or remove it from) some of your other playlists:

The playlists the item's been saved in will also have a check mark.The playlists the item's been saved in will also have a check mark.

Thanks again for helping us make Spotify better. We're always striving to provide the best possible user experience and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Comments
melkingwrites

This is the feature I want most of all! I'm a big playlist maker for friends, family, and my wife. I make playlists for every season every year and for every holiday/birthday/anniversary. It's so annoying to find out later that the playlist is not as unique as I thought because it has songs from some other playlist! Being able to search across all of my own playlists would be a major game changer. 

Tilmn

I also am in dire need of finding a song in my playlists! I just discovered the shiny new library (desktop), which I already love. I think it would be easy to implement now, because there already is search functionality in the library screen. Unfortunately it does only search in playlist TITLES, but not in the song titles in the playlist. This should be easy to do, no?

gpppp1

It would be pretty cool and useful to know in which playlists is a song added.

When I'm listening to a certain song, and I know I've already added it to a playlist or various playlists but I don't know in which one so I can go a listen to it, I'd like to right-click and see where I can find that song in my library... or maybe it could be said anywhere without having to right-click.

everydaymsuic

I don't understand how the status of this idea hasn't changed despite the amount of traction it has been getting. Why is it still a "new idea"? We have yet another Desktop update among others and no where close to a better experience.

Reposting the many reasons why it should be implemented :

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Playlists-See-in-which-of-my-Playlists-a-Song-is-in/id...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/All-Platforms-Playlists-See-The-Playlists-Which-The-So...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/All-Platforms-Search-Filter-across-all-playlists/idi-p...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/All-Platforms-Browse-This-Song-Appears-in-These-Playli...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Playlists-Find-Song-in-My-Playlists/idi-p/5171...

With everyone increasingly working from home, being at home, doing things in their personal spaces - the amount of music listening around the world surely has increased! With that comes playlists, organizing your music, discovering.
For anyone who listens to music enough, being able to know which playlist your song already is in, is probably the most intuitive thing to do! It is basic feature found in iTunes as the post from 2012 beautifully illustrates!
I don't want to end up creating multiple playlists with the same song by accident, it would be so much cooler to do it by choice! There is so much we can do with this feature and make the music listening experience richer.

ajanono

Agree! Please, implement this.

slipstream422

I had/have the same issue so I created website, www.spotifyfinder.com, that has a set of tools to help you organize your Spotify playlists and everyone is welcome to use it...admittedly this does not fix the issue directly...but it is helpful...
- Use this website to find duplicates (and remove them) in your Spotify playlists.
- Use this website to see where a particular artist appears in your Spotify playlists.
- Use this website to move tracks to another playlist.
- Use this website to copy tracks to another playlist.

It would be great to get some feedback on whether you found this website useful.
www.spotifyfinder.com

Thanks,
Slipstream422

tim_tainment

As others already stated - it´s an old idea which should be included nowadays. Would be really useful

Jacob
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2021-05-20

Your suggestion has at least 180 votes! Keep gathering votes. If this idea gets enough votes, Spotify will check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

nyletak

Hi,

It would be nice to have a feature where you could what playlists of yours has that song in.

Since I’m a premium member a lot of my music is downloaded and i find songs that i have downloaded that i have no idea which playlist they’re in. i have over 150 playlists so it makes it very hard to find. especially when i want to remove a song.

it would be good for mainly removing songs from playlists (in my opinion) because either they’ve had enough of the song/it got overplayed, they had a bad experience and that song reminds them of it, maybe something happened with the artist. or that the artist released the song as a single and they want to remove it to add the album version. 

In a similar vein it could be used for adding songs, that way you know what playlists have the delux album/ regular album/clean album/single/ep version and prevents double songs which arent caught because spotify only recognises songs from the exact same album as the same song.

davisoncsousa

Okay, so I was listening to Solar Power by Lorde, and I know I have included that song on my month playlist. To access my playlist I had to go home, playlists, get into a folder... It's exhausting, but it could be so simple if we had an option at the three dot icon like "in what list I included this track".