[Playlists] Smart Playlists

I can't believe this hasn't migrated from the Get Satisfaction site - Spotify is in dire need of Smart Playlists. iTunes and Media Monkey have hgihly intelligent smart playlist functions, which is great for offlining big playlists in a useful way. I, for example, have a huge starred playlist which I simply can't offline without seriously compromising the speed of my iPhone and more particularly, the Spotify app. If I could restrict it to 100 random songs that I haven't played in the last 6 months, then I could just sync nightly, and listen to a selection of my favorite songs, without causing performance issues. Currently, I have to create playlists manually using Spotibot with my Last.fm loved tracks, which is hassle.

Updated on 2018-08-28

Hey!

Thanks for coming to the Community, and continuing to share your votes on the idea for Smart Playlists.

We're currently keeping this as 'Not Right Now', however rest assured we'll post here if we have any other information to share.

Thanks,

/M

Comments
pablosita
Music Fan

Just an option to randomize the playlist, so you can listen to the ENTIRE playlist without hearing a bunch of the same somgs repeated. Currently, with shuffle there are many songs I hear every day, or even twice a day, and some that never get played! I'm paying for premium, and at the very least, this should not be an issue. How big of a deal would it be for an option to sort the playlist by "Random"?

reygok
Yeah that would be better than nothing, however, it must never forget where you're at in that case. If you do shuffle, then listen to, say, half your playlist, then the next day you want to continue without reshuffeling.
This does not work for example in the stock iOS music app.
lkrulik

Just pointing again to Smarter Playlists:  http://smarterplaylists.playlistmachinery.com/

Pretty great - I have been using it for about a year and meets most of my uses cases - especially those that including merging playlists dynamically.  For example, if you have "2018 Selects", "2017 Selects", etc... you can create a "Selects" playlist which have all those playlists and then shuffle it all.  

reygok

Yeah I know that page, sadly, it doesn't fulfill my use case at all, but that's not the programs fault, but another missing feature on Spotify: sort tracks by last played date.

Matthewe_

Honestly, if Spotify can just look at Apple Music(And we all know they do) and look at their smart playlist feature, we would all be happy. It's not Neuro Surgery it's a very simple feature we are asking for and Spotify can even do it better. 

That Smart playlist website mentioned above doesn't give the same options/ benefits that Apple Music Smart Playlist do. Also, I believe that's a 3rd party app and isn't even well integrated into Spotify. 

The lack of smart playlist is why I just canceled my Spotify Premium and going back to Apple Music. 

mrmacamba

That this feature even needs votes to 'get through to the developers'... My guess is that a lot of users are not aware of such a function and its big advantages. And that it is and should be a no-brainer for developers. (I mean come on, how revolutionary are tags in this day and age?) It is like having a bustling shop with swing doors and a stairway, with an 'ideas' box for sliding doors and an escalator in the basement. (why not add an in-app ideas/vote section?) The only reason I can think of is it will be too big an investment one way or another, which does not instill confidence that this app/company has a healthy base, or is too restricted by other parties, or too scared to change. I find the experience becoming stagnant in innovation and enticement, for an app with such incredible potential (oh how I miss Pandora since it has been made unavailable in Europe). I for one love to be introduced to new music based on the type of songs I have in a playlist with a resemblance in tempo, voice type, instruments used, color/warmth/mood, etc. Not by the stone-age-I-could-think-of-that-myself-proposals like genre, songs of the same artist, hits, or some other simple list. I do feel the urge to look for a service that addresses these needs, or jump aboard if one comes along. Even though I am a Premium subscriber for some years now, a daily user, very content with the other services offered, and not easily discouraged. There are just some hiatuses that have been present for so long, they are starting to weigh.

kidbrax
Regular

It's ridiculous that this isn't a feature. It could be added so easily. Disappointing .

trvrtnn

Still waiting for this. Using Apple Music because they offer this feature. This feature and some smarter implementation of 3D touch on iOS devices would have me cancel my Apple Music subscription and go back to Spotify exclusively. As is I won't be renewing my Spotify premium subscription.

user-removed
Not applicable

This is so needed, Spotify is better than every other streaming service in every other way I feel (and i've tried them all), but this is the one thing that Apple has over Spotify. If you could introduce this it would be awesome.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2018-08-28

Hey!

Thanks for coming to the Community, and continuing to share your votes on the idea for Smart Playlists.

We're currently keeping this as 'Not Right Now', however rest assured we'll post here if we have any other information to share.

Thanks,

/M