[Playlists] Smart Playlists

I can't believe this hasn't migrated from the Get Satisfaction site - Spotify is in dire need of Smart Playlists. iTunes and Media Monkey have hgihly intelligent smart playlist functions, which is great for offlining big playlists in a useful way. I, for example, have a huge starred playlist which I simply can't offline without seriously compromising the speed of my iPhone and more particularly, the Spotify app. If I could restrict it to 100 random songs that I haven't played in the last 6 months, then I could just sync nightly, and listen to a selection of my favorite songs, without causing performance issues. Currently, I have to create playlists manually using Spotibot with my Last.fm loved tracks, which is hassle.

Updated on 2018-08-28

Hey!

Thanks for coming to the Community, and continuing to share your votes on the idea for Smart Playlists.

We're currently keeping this as 'Not Right Now', however rest assured we'll post here if we have any other information to share.

Thanks,

/M

Comments
vurtual
Gig Goer

fez, have you used spotify onyour android? I ask because lots of people seem to have problems with it...

roydeletter
Regular

I was thinking about this too. Great idea!

Intelligent playlists based on my favorites.

The wheel has already been invented in iTunes.

Elundris

Agreed

gugavieira

I'd be happy enough if Spotify imported (or better, synced) iTunes' Smart Playlists.

lbonanza

Smart Playlists are the key to shift people from iTunes to Spotify. A lot of iTunes users have their music life in a decent collection of music. And they don't see a way to take it over to Spotify. 

Another thing that is keeping users at iTunes is the lack of a 5 star rating system at Spotify. There is something in between like or dislike a song.

lawndart1

I have to agree that the lack of smart playlist support is a deal killer for me. I was hoping to find a single music app that would do it all. I'm going to cancel for now. 

davemcpoland
Regular

Smart playlists so, for example, you can create a plylist with tarcks you have added within the last 2 months.

user-removed
Not applicable
Smart Playlists are really important for anyone not streaming everything on the iPhone and would make my switching from iTunes complete. I desperately need this feature. I would use it to create playlists with the last 500 added songs (newest on top), based on genre playlists I keep. Also to sort the starred playlist by newest additions limited to 500. So there's always the newest songs on the iPhone without having to worry about space. Because if these playlists grow, making them available offline will become impossible and one would have to split playlists all the time.
1withthefreaks
Regular
Definitely needs to happen. I am wasting way too much of my life obsessing over playlists. Also when listening to the library on shuffle and something terrible comes up and I want to delete it I have to spend ages trying to find which folder it's in. Ideally itunes will one day just bite the bullet and become a spotify like streaming service. But there is one simple function in spotify which itunes is lacking; In spotify you can click on the artist name or album name to isolate that artist/album. (It would be nice if you could click on the record label name aswell.) And then if they just had an iphone app that doesn't keep crashing everything would be perfect.
Rocio
Spotify Legend
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Hello there!

First at all, truly sorry for the delay on updating this...we know it has been around for a while now but we have tons of ideas which come in to the community everyday and sometimes it is quite hard to prioritize.

We´ve been discussing this with the design team and we all love the idea. We want to implement it as soon as we can. At the moment, we are focusing on fixing the offline syncing and other related issues. Once we are done with this we will start building features as the Smart Playlists (we know how important it is as well).

So please, check this thread out for next updates.

Thanks for your awesome feedback!