[Playlists] Smart Playlists

I can't believe this hasn't migrated from the Get Satisfaction site - Spotify is in dire need of Smart Playlists. iTunes and Media Monkey have hgihly intelligent smart playlist functions, which is great for offlining big playlists in a useful way. I, for example, have a huge starred playlist which I simply can't offline without seriously compromising the speed of my iPhone and more particularly, the Spotify app. If I could restrict it to 100 random songs that I haven't played in the last 6 months, then I could just sync nightly, and listen to a selection of my favorite songs, without causing performance issues. Currently, I have to create playlists manually using Spotibot with my Last.fm loved tracks, which is hassle.

Updated on 2018-08-28

Hey!

Thanks for coming to the Community, and continuing to share your votes on the idea for Smart Playlists.

We're currently keeping this as 'Not Right Now', however rest assured we'll post here if we have any other information to share.

Thanks,

/M

Comments
hfpetch
Casual Listener

Can't believe this hasn't been integrated yet. SUCH a useful feature on iTunes and it's the one thing I really really miss. It really allowed you to explore your music collection in a unique way, especially if you have a large collection.

Wilwa
Casual Listener

Please bring this features. It's the only thing I really miss from iTunes and would make Spotify complete. 

xfactor007

Please setup smart playlist feature in Spotify.  This was something that was avaialble on my original creative zune player back in 1999.  I'm not sure why it's such a big deal.  I can see the coding and feaurset build and test to be a minor project.

neilclavin

So i reached the 3,333 limit of songs on my iphone and I really don't have time to edit all these songs and decide what to keep and not keep offline. Please please create smart playlists that I can sync to my iphone with one tap of a toggle button or I am switching reluctantly to Apple Music as I believe they have this feature. The music on my iphone is out of date since 3 months because I don't have time to deal with this. Technology should make this experience easier not harder. 

musicbrainbooks
Regular

PLEASE MAKE THIS A THING. Why has it not happened in the last six years?!

ZENINH0

Great idea!! 

This is a #musthave for spotify.

I can’t belive it 2018, spotify is one of the mayor music streaming services and it offers so few tool to navigate and explote its music database. 

This would be a huge improvement that would be very used by every middle weight user an on. 

Please give us tools to play and come up eith great playlist. 

I would vote a 1000 yimes formthis idea!!

cdo9

iTunes got this feature and many more than Spotify (like sorting with creation date and more).

I really don’t understand why you do not have this feature. People asking since 2012 and you do not plan to add it. It’s my last year on spotify, i prefere to pay more and have smart playlist (itunes got it more than 10 years ago).

Can you tell us WHY you do not add it? I think you are loosing and will loose more and more people. With 1.14M$ you can’t afford a team to have this feature ?.... 

reygok

Come on Spotify, we are almost at a thousand votes. Most users never come to these forums, but I bet many would appreciate this feature. It's the only reason I don't use premium.

pablosita
Music Fan

Just an option to randomize the playlist, so you can listen to the ENTIRE playlist without hearing a bunch of the same somgs repeated. Currently, with shuffle there are many songs I hear every day, or even twice a day, and some that never get played! I'm paying for premium, and at the very least, this should not be an issue. How big of a deal would it be for an option to sort the playlist by "Random"?

reygok
Yeah that would be better than nothing, however, it must never forget where you're at in that case. If you do shuffle, then listen to, say, half your playlist, then the next day you want to continue without reshuffeling.
This does not work for example in the stock iOS music app.