Announcements

[Playlists] Sort Playlists by Personal Play Count

This way if we come across a playlist or search results that are showing alot of songs, you can sort them by listen count so you can either listen to songs you have heard often that you know you already like, or conversely, you can listen to songs you have never heard and gradually make your way back to songs that you have heard more often.

I have included my mockup from photoshop what this could look like if implemented as i see it.

SPOTIFYIMPLEMENT.jpg

Updated on 2019-04-08

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We've spoken to the team in charge of this and we're keeping this idea as 'Not Right Now'.

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts. If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
Casual Listener

Could we perhaps add it to the developers API as data?

For example https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/web-api/reference/library/get-users-saved-tracks/ already gives us information of when a track was added to the liked songs list, perhaps adding a last_played property?

I think the data already exists (because of the end of year/new year summary that spotify does) perhaps that way any developer can create a simple script to create a playlist with the songs that you haven't listened to in a while.

(If there is already an endpoint that does this, I would love to be pointed to it)

Roadie

This needs to happen. It should really be there already.

Why isn't it? Actually, I have an idea about why spotify might be unwilling to implement and keep this idea: Namely that for this to work reliably, Spotify needs to solve the problem with the countless duplicates of songs that Spotify fails to understand and treat as duplicates. If they don't solve that they will soon get complaints that this feature is not reliable. Users will soon see the same song in different places, but they will not have the same play count because Spotify fails to understand that to the user they are the same song even if one is from the april 2001 reissue of an album while the next from the march 1999 reissue, and the next from the november 1997 reissue.

The duplicate problem also causes tons of other issues. There is an idea to fix the duplicate problems here that you can vote for.

Gig Goer

Really need a way to identify songs I've never heard -- this is another great idea to aid in music discovery that would drive me to brand new music

For some reason a moderator "merged" my idea with this idea. While this idea is great in its own right, it's not exactly what I meant, but whatever..

Fix the shuffle in playlists so that Spotify counts the times each song is played, that way Spotify could play the least played songs on a given playlist, and we won't have constantly repeated songs.

To clarify, I have a large playlist of songs. Every time I click a song, if it's from the same playlist or not, Spotify shuffles the order all over again. If Spotify would implement a simple song counter per playlist (could even be out of sight), we could shuffle the songs however many times we want and the playlist would play the least played songs first. That way we won't have to hear the same few songs everytime we switch a playlist. 

Holy cow! This idea is from 2016 and we're in 2021 now. Common Spotify do something about it will ya?!

Related Ideas