Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Sort by Release Date

It would be nice to be able to sort a playlist by the release date of the songs.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we aren't able to prioritize it and don't have any immediate plans to implement this. We will let you know if this changes in the future.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
Alex
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we aren't able to prioritize it and don't have any immediate plans to implement this. We will let you know if this changes in the future.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Rirs123

I would live it if there were at least the info accessable at the player, not that I always click on Look the album to see when it was released. But I guess it is a way to lead me to the whole album... 🙂

henrivdm

@spotify this is not an "interesting feature", it is one of the most basic features anyone who understands music collections/libraries would expect to have.  It is absurd that this even needs to be prioritised.

I am now creating a playlist for every album in my library that reflects artist|release date|album

notes

This is a very basic and almost fundamental feature for music tracks, it is very disappointing that this is not and will not be included.

jimjobbies

I'd start with sort by 'release date' as a priority. Ordering playlists etc by release date would be so beneficial in so many ways, future listeners would understand the history of music and be able to explore the provenance of genres etc. This is an opportunity to for Spotify to not only provide access to music but also to educate and be seen as 'archivists' or 'CAREtakers' of music. Massively missing a trick here, get onto it.

SlimDaddy

Every song has a date when it was released. Please add a sorting function that allows playlists to sort the songs in chronological order, from oldest release date to newest, and vice versa. I can't imagine Spotify employees wouldn't like to use this feature themselves. What is the purpose of including a release date for each song released if it can't be sorted the same way playlists can be sorted alphabetically?

Dian
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2023-07-16

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

sftp_256

Is there any update on this? I'm really missing the ability to sort by release date. I consider this as an essential feature to organize my liked songs and playlists. Thus, appreciate if this will be considered soon. Thank you. 

WDV40

I've made a collaborative playlist with friends, we now want to sort it by dates, so that we play songs from 80s, then 90s, then 00s, then 10s etc... is this possible?

mxda747l1hzkroczntdx

Add