[Playlists] Suggestions for the (slightly unloved) K-Pop playlists

Hi Spotify,

I  just wanted to chat a little about some of the playlists in your K-Pop category. Bear with me because I know this sounds pedantic and that I should have better things to do than this (and you would probably be right but this is a great form of procrastination). It’s just that some of these playlists feel a little… unloved?

Like, for example, the Bubblegum K-Pop playlist - it’s a playlist dedicated to sugary aegyo-filled tracks right? But there’s a bunch of songs in here that really aren’t all that aegyo, they’re just sung by female artists. And I know it definitely isn’t Spotify’s intention to imply that female artists just make inherently cute music, but it kind of comes across a bit like that? Like take DREAMCATCHER - I love DREAMCATCHER and I’d love to see them in playlists more but their stuff is like grungy emo pop and is like the furthest thing from aegyo that pop can get. And also, I love LOONA, TWICE and Red Velvet but those three bands take up nearly 3/5 of the playlist - there’s amazing aegyo based groups and songs that could be in here as well!

And also just for another comparison (heck I’m a university student I have so much time on my hands to procrastinate), in the K-Pop Daebak playlist, there’s quite a few block chunks of songs from the same artist in a row, like there’s six BLACKPINK songs in a row (I don’t have it artist ordered, I checked lol + see the attachment) . Like yeah fine you could just shuffle the thing but it just looks a bit like nobody really cares about its curation all that much? And there’s some classics on here, don’t get me wrong, but I swear there’s songs on here that have been here for more than a year, like Red Velvet’s Peek-A-Boo and Red Flavor, BLACKPINK’s WHISTLE and BOOMBAYAH and PLAYING WITH FIRE, WINNER’s REALLY REALLY, SUNMI’s Gashina etc. These songs are total bops, and I love them, but all these artists have come out with new things since then, and there’s plenty of headline artists who aren’t included on here (if that is what the playlist is trying accumulate).

I’ve done a K-Pop radio show at my university every week for four years now, I love this stuff and I know it really well - if you need an extra hand to help curate these playlists I'm so willing, hit me up. Or if you're all cool on that front, it'd be awesome if you could take some of these suggestions on board! 

Anyway, all the best and I still love what you do!

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 22.29.44.png

Updated on 2018-11-04

Marked as new idea.

0 Likes
Comments
Rock Star 22
Rock Star 22
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2018-11-04

Marked as new idea.