Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Automatically save offline new Podcasts and remove completed Podcasts

Add the ability to have a podcast you follow automatically downloaded and deleted once you've listened to it all the way through.

Updated on 2022-12-20

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this feature is now available on all platforms. Our developers have worked their magic backstage and made this possible now! 

The frequency of removal of episodes can be adjusted from the cogwheel icon in "Your episodes". 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
beccam1

Hey spotify, any status here? We have 1200 votes and this feature is standard for other podcast providers, any plans to implement this?

Thanks!

janmchan

This is literally the only thing stopping me from using spotify for podcast. In a country where mobile bandwidth is premium, there is just no reason to listen to podcast on spotify if it's not downloaded.

rmaschhoff

I do not understand how my playlists can automatically download when updated, but not my podcasts. 

Sandiss

This is the only reason I'm not using Spotify as my podcast player.

elidawson

Been two years, 1400 votes, and dozens of comments. Any further update, Spotify?

blakers42

I stopped using Spotify for podcasts because of this. Using Podcast Addict on Android now which is very feature-rich.

jhousden9

I'm going to comment on here again.

You can't expect people to use your podcast platform if it doesn't have one of the core features needed on a podcast platform. I would switch in a heartbeat from Pocket Casts if you had this feature just so I have music and podcasts in one place.

Please introduce this. You have offline music, why not podcasts?

PaulLittlewood

Its baffling because Spotify are clearly trying to push podcasting on their platform. They've redesigned their mobile app to heavily feature podcasts, they're creating Spotify original podcasts etc... And yet no effort seems to be put into developing the most basic features required of a podcasting app. It would be interesting to know what the master plan is because from the outside it just looks totally incompetent. Nobody will use your app for podcasting without this most basic feature!

I'm sure somebody from Spotify, maybe 10 years down the line, will eventually notice this ancient thread and have an epiphany as to why podcasting failed on their platform, because nobody thought to develop critical basic features or indeed check their own feedback forums.

ecarl65

I couldn't agree more, PaulLittlewood. It's so baffling. They spent all this money buying up Reply All, Science Vs., etc. They are trying to get into the podcasting game big-time. And yet their app lacks one of the most crucial features that any podcasting app needs. They clearly have the ability to auto-download things. It's just so baffling. It can't be that difficult to do, programmatically. But they choose to spend their app development time making UI changes that nobody likes. I don't get it. Their priorities are completely misaligned with their apparent goals.

theEngineer

Hearing Podcasts suck in Spotify! No automatic Downloads is like delivering a really nice car without wheels. Its completly useless for so many Users (including me). Now my favorite Podcast is Spotify Exclusive which brings me to not hearing it from now, because i hear my podcasts on my commute to work and dont use my Mobile Data traffic! So my alternativ is: I dont listen to it anymore which is sadening.

Cmon Spotify... pay your paying Users tribute and implement core features of Podcasts!