Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Automatically save offline new Podcasts and remove completed Podcasts

Add the ability to have a podcast you follow automatically downloaded and deleted once you've listened to it all the way through.

Updated on 2022-12-20

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this feature is now available on all platforms. Our developers have worked their magic backstage and made this possible now! 

The frequency of removal of episodes can be adjusted from the cogwheel icon in "Your episodes". 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
Arnoud2

Using Spotify onIon Android

wasconsidering changing to Spotify as my podcasts app and even started following all my favourite podcasts. When I noticed that marking old episodes as completed (takes two clicks instead of a single swipe in most other apps) was quite cumbersome I was already starting to doubt my decision. Then I noticed that it's impossible to set auto download preferences per podcasts, which seems quite basic to me. I've therefore decides to stop migrating to Spotify. 

For me listening to podcasts is s great way to learn while commuting. Commuting means no WiFi and therefore a requirement that episodes need to be downloaded automatically.

name_1

I'm going to predict the future.

[CLOSED AS DUPLICATE]
*links to anther topic that is [CLOSED FOR NOT ENOUGH KUDOS]*

Spotify then buys another Podcasting network and pisses all over its users.

This is why I cancelled my family plan.

reustmd

I was planning on switching from YouTube music to Spotify, hoping to consolidate music and podcasts into a single app. I was willing to give up skipping YouTube ads to make the switch (I don't want to pay for both), but I was shocked when I discovered you're still missing this basic functionality. Without it, I'll stick to YouTube music and PocketCasts.

brandondrury

It's my understanding that Joe Rogan will be exclusive on Spotify.  There about to be millions of people that demand this feature.  I hope they are civil.

ecarl65

@brandondrury, I hope they're rowdy! 🤣

brandondrury
@ecarl65 , I can't imagine the Joe Rogan listeners not being rowdy. The
rumor is Joe Rogan pulled in $100,000,000 from Spotify for this
arrangement.  That's fine, but when Spotify appears to have invested
nothing into the Podcast side of its app and treats podcasts as if they
are songs, it's going to make people that depend on podcasts livid.
Sammwise

This is literally what podcasts were designed for - to be automatically downloaded and deleted. That's the format. Why do you break my heart like this?

brandondrury

Last night I listened to a podcast to fall asleep using Podcast Addict.  It automatically set a 15 minute timer since it was in my scheduled sleep hours.  At the end of 15 minutes, the podcast began to fade out gradually before stopping itself.  This is the level of sophistication I'm used to.  Using Spotify for podcasts is neandertalian in comparison.

Maix27

If you want me to move from Google Podcasts to Spotify, this needs to be implemented! 

Camizzle100

This is a foundational functionality of all great podcast apps, and is simply mind boggling that you aren't prioritizing this. Paying 100's of millions of dollars for content but failing on very simple UX decisions is truly baffling. Please bring this into the app; until then, I'm sticking to Apple Podcasts