Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Automatically save offline new Podcasts and remove completed Podcasts

Add the ability to have a podcast you follow automatically downloaded and deleted once you've listened to it all the way through.

Updated on 2022-12-20

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this feature is now available on all platforms. Our developers have worked their magic backstage and made this possible now! 

The frequency of removal of episodes can be adjusted from the cogwheel icon in "Your episodes". 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
IMIJ

Automatic downloads of new podcast episodes and removal of played ones, is a must for any serious podcast app. Now that Rogan has an exclusive deal with Spotify, I’m forced to use their subpar podcast feature to listen to it. I’m sure that’s going to translate into me listening to his podcast a lot less now, if at all. I’m sure others we do the same, reducing his listenership 

Honestly this post shows that spotify does not give a rats ass about their podcast abilities.  20 pages of the same complaint and still 0 changes.  Why have this forum if you don't **bleep** what anyone wants? Just a joke imo just like their app

Bertugarangou

More that 2 thousand votes and stilk "not right now", well, yes, that's listening to the users.

admarko

Is there any update on this? I feel like it's the one requirement I have for a new podcast app and it's the only thing preventing me from switching from Apple podcasts. Have people found any way around this?

Caitlinnm

If you are going to onboard the biggest podcaster in the world, you should have a podcast interface that isn't awful. I'm super frustrated with the fact that the podcast portion of Spotify is so basic and missing the most IMPORTANT piece of having a podcast app, which is to automatically list out all of my podcasts in order in one list, add new episodes as they are released and remove these from the list that I've already listened to. A ton of my episodes are missing and it's just so frustrating to look through tons of podcasts by month and manually add, but then they get added to some random list. What is going on here? Was there any thought put into podcasts on your platform at all? Podcast listening is so different from listening to music and I wish you would recognize that.

Thievinggypsy

It’s a couple of *years* since I first commented on this post - yet despite that length of time, and the many many requests for this feature, Spotify still haven’t prioritised this basic functionality. I’ve been with Spotify from the very beginning, but that’s it - I’m done: my Family plan is cancelled as of this month. There is simply no compelling reason to stay with a company that wont prioritise basic functionality - whilst their competitors are constantly adding new and better functionality. So long and thanks for all the fish. 

JohanBos

The fact that this is still on "not right now" is mind boggling to me. It's the most important part of a podcast app. Is it even a podcast if you have to download it manually? I would say this is going back in time 15 years, but I'm pretty sure the first podcast app downloaded automatically back then. 

TBek

This is starting to feel like you're not adding this feature to be spiteful or something. It *cannot* be that hard to do. 

Flyboy54

After hours of trying hard to manage Spotify podcasts, I give up. I'm going back to iTunes podcasts, where everything is straightforward, and easy to organize. It's very intuitive, and the podcasts I have listened to actually go away, which is what I want. Guess I'm a minimalist.

mathiasegeland

Why do you not prioritize this! This is so awesome to be able to do! Come on Spotify