Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Automatically save offline new Podcasts and remove completed Podcasts

Add the ability to have a podcast you follow automatically downloaded and deleted once you've listened to it all the way through.

Updated on 2022-12-20

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this feature is now available on all platforms. Our developers have worked their magic backstage and made this possible now! 

The frequency of removal of episodes can be adjusted from the cogwheel icon in "Your episodes". 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
chadguillot

This is the sole reason I don't use Spotify for podcasts

dpatt

If nothing else, it should be pretty easy to add a feature where completed podcasts/downloads are auto removed after X period of time.

This is such a shame, auto download when on wifi and auto remove after listening is such a basic feature! If they want to make an impact in the podcasting business, this is a must. I am sticking to another app for the time being... What a shame though, it would be nice to have both music and podcasts available through the same app/service. Guys, wake up, please!

MatMaster11

This is a really great idea your recent partnership with Misfits Podcasts could be a great way to flagship it. In theory most recent episode they clearly didnt know how to advertise for you guys so give them some direction I cant imagine this is a hard thing to implement. Even if you can'/t automatically download it maybe a push notification that asks for the permission. Idk just would appreciate the quality of life feature. 

OzeiasTrocatti

That os the only reason why I don't use Spotify for podcast yet

ayejaytwo

Won't be switching over to Spotify as my podcast app until this is the case!

Poteet

Why WOULDN'T you implement this?

marcialcarrillo

This is one of the most basic features of any podcast player, I wouldn't consider the podcast service complete without it and thus have to rely on other software to listen to them for the moment.

Creodor

Wow, you make a deal with podcast networks and buy companies that run them, but then you don't implement one of the most basic features of any podcast application? This is a superb way to lose listeners, not gain them. I for one would rather just drop the podcasts you made exclusive rather than deal with the lack of this feature. Fix this if you expect people to actually switch for any reason OTHER than because they can't get their content anywhere else.

ecarl65

Since obviously Spotify isn't going to listen to their users and implement this most basic and essential feature perhaps we could speculate as to the reason. Developers not up to the task? Someone with technical control wants to see podcasting fail for some reason? Spotify gets kickbacks from phone companies for forcing streaming instead of WiFi downloads? Whatever the reason they're clearly working against their own interests with their alleged intent to enter the podcasting market as a serious player.