Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Automatically save offline new Podcasts and remove completed Podcasts

Add the ability to have a podcast you follow automatically downloaded and deleted once you've listened to it all the way through.

Updated on 2022-12-20

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this feature is now available on all platforms. Our developers have worked their magic backstage and made this possible now! 

The frequency of removal of episodes can be adjusted from the cogwheel icon in "Your episodes". 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
ferropop

I'm wondering if this is a technical limitation.  Spotify can't (for example) download songs to the device unless the Spotify app is open and focused.  But if other Podcast apps are clearly able to do this (not just Apple's own app!) then I don't quite understand what the issue is lol.

brandondrury

I've done my fair share of programming.  This is not a technical limitation.  

I see it as being one of two possibilities.

1)  Spotify believes in "simple".  This could be a holdover of the old iPod with only one button.  There is some design philosophy that says you go total barebones as it is "elegant" or something.  For those of us who are frustrated, this would be like omitting the windshield wipers from a car because it is "cleaner" and "more streamlined".

2)  Spotify doesn't have the resources.  This seems highly unlikely based on their expenditures.  Podcast Addict provides an incredible array of features and is free.

ecarl65

This is definitely not a technical limitation. Their playlists and radio stations already auto download new tracks and delete ones that have been removed. I think you're ignoring the possibility that this is a conscious decision they're making because they think it helps their bottom line somehow. I'm not sure how, maybe they think they'll get more eyes on podcasts if people are forced to choose which ones to download. Maybe they're worried about the resources that get used with so many auto-downloaded but not-listened-to podcasts. Whatever it is I can't imagine this being anything other than a willful decision at this point. Either that or spotify is seriously inept and blind. 

PrimeTime1023

As a shareholder and fan, I must reiterate this request. Pardon the hyperbole but not having this is like removing voting machine prior to an election.

Please prioritize this as a project for someone in Q3!

Are you trying not to get us to use this? I thought the companies strategy is to lead in the podcast media-sphere. Bill Simmons, Joe Rogan, Gimlet. 

I literally deleted my old podcast app assuming this feature existed and am now redownloading it and therefore using Spotify less. I assume time on app is good for business.

I am invested in your business and want to move to one app for pods and music. 

Best,

Tom

SW10

Spotify spends hundreds of millions of dollars buying exclusivity while their app lacks one of the most basic features of any podcasting program. Typical big company stuff.

ferropop

The "Not Right Now" tag is literally comical in this regard.  Absolutely insane.

Inherentmink

It's been 4 years since this was requested. Now that podcasts are becoming an important part of Spotify you need to mark this as an active feature. I have Spotify premium, yet I use google podcasts simply because it automatically downloads podcasts for me to listen to while I drive. I'm sure everyone who uses Spotify would love this addition. 

samsreddyhoff

Commented on this post 2 years ago...and still using the iPhone podcast app instead of Spotify because of the lack of this standard feature...

henrpett

I can't believe Spotify is spending this much money on content and can't support this one fundamental feature.

injaneer

What is Spotify doing? This is considered a basic feature for a podcast app.

Spotify is missing out on a large number of people who need this feature for podcasts on their commute or at work. This is such a common thing. 

There have been requests on this forum for this feature since 2016. Thousands of people have voted for this. It’s 2020. Podcast apps download automatically. 

If you won’t build a decent podcast app, stop buying podcasts. I’m not going to stream data all day to listen to Joe Rogan.