Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Automatically save offline new Podcasts and remove completed Podcasts

Add the ability to have a podcast you follow automatically downloaded and deleted once you've listened to it all the way through.

Updated on 2022-12-20

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this feature is now available on all platforms. Our developers have worked their magic backstage and made this possible now! 

The frequency of removal of episodes can be adjusted from the cogwheel icon in "Your episodes". 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
Jezaba

I heard JRE will be with spotify exclusively by the end of the year so I'm here to see if I have any interest in switching podcast clients. I don't. This feature is standard in every other podcast service, and pretty important to me. 

MrFranks

You guys swept away JRE, better start implementing this auto-downloadfeature

Icaruscomplexz

I don’t understand how this isn’t a priority feature. It’s pretty clear podcasts are an essential fixture of the future of spotify, but it’s just such a cut rate feature. Podcasts kind of just exist in the app. I can deal with the search/exploration sucking. The discovery mechanisms are Spotify native, not my cup of tea but I can make it work. But this isn’t a killer feature, it’s part of an MVP. 

AnthonyFuller

I've always used apple podcasts prior to the JRE announcement. Slowly moving my podcasts over as they are available but this is pretty basic and required for any serious podcast app. Fingers crossed it'll magically be implemented prior to September 1st when Joe comes on board. 

PaulLittlewood

Just a reminder that Spotify have only just (Oct 2019) replied to this thread saying they are not looking to implement this most basic feature. I wouldn't want people to invest time setting Spotify up for their podcasts in the hope of this happening. We waited 4 years for a response which was "Not Right Now". Don't get your hopes up!

jhousden9

@PaulLittlewood only way to get them to review it again though is to keep the activity up on this topic. If there are enough votes, they're more likely to look at implementing it. Can't see the reason why they won't do it though as they have the feature in place for music. Seems a bit odd.

fusiooon

This is a necessary feature for a mature podcasts player. All you need to do is open any podcasting app on iOS or Android and implement all the podcast management features you see there, not just the auto download.

I did actually try moving over to Spotify for podcasts but after a few days went back to Pocket Casts.

The requested feature is actually not so different from subscribing to a Spotify playlist, and having it set to download. It's obvious that streaming only is the goal here, most likely so you can dynamically change ads to get that sweet ad revenue money.

DigitalDriver

I agree.  This is Podcatcher 101.  Every notable podcast client has an auto-download feature.  Seeing as Spotify is making plans to be an exclusive home to big players like Rogan, whose current subs are used to features like this, it would only make sense to seriously consider offering this very basic functionality on their platform.  Update the tech to match the talent!

felixer

This is kinda a critical function of podcasts, this absolutely needs to be added before Spotify becomes my podcast player of choice.

I stopped listening to stern because the Sirius app was **bleep**.  Please don't make me stop listening to Rogan because your app is **bleep**. Autodownload is a must on any app created after 2005. Get up to date please!