Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] DISABILITY as a Podcast Category with Subcategories

Hello,

Currently, there are 19 primary categories and 91 subcategories for podcasts and disability is not included in any of these. Disability-themed podcasts are spread out into a variety of categories that do not exactly fit nor represent the content. Even in the primary categories of "Health & Fitness," disability is not an option amongst alternative health, fitness, medicine, nutrition, mental health, and sexuality. The lack of disability as a category or even a subcategory for podcasts mirrors a critical problem in our society - ableism.

Creating a podcast category for “disability” helps the disabled community in several ways:

1) it makes it easier to find podcasts relating to disability, therefore, more accessible to those who are searching them out
2) it helps disability podcast creators to be more discoverable to the demographic of people who are searching it out

Being disabled has historically been stigmatized and those within disabled community are working to change that. We are a large community - disability does not discriminate, it impacts every other identity factor: race, ethnicity, sexuality, gender, and socio-economic status. We deserve the ability to have convenient access to content that we can relate to, we deserve representation.

Will Spotify be the first to make this bold step for our community? I sure hope so.

Updated on 2023-04-11

Hey!
We've been keeping an eye on this submission for an extended period of time, and it doesn't seem this will reach the votes necessary to put it forward for prioritization.
As such, we're marking this case as closed. This includes any similar suggestions that are received.

If we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back here with a new status. Have in mind that the idea will continue open for getting votes, so if you still feel strongly about it, continue sharing it with more users.

More information about it can be found here.

Thanks for your comprehension!

Comments
zeerokka13

Great idea, let’s make it happen!

descriartepod

We, here in Brazil, are voting A LOT on this suggestion! Let's make this happen! I have myself a podcast (Descriarte) about art that uses audiodescription to be inclusive and we have a diverse community that makes podcasts about RPG, literature, science, ADHD in Brazillian Portuguese and will be so great to see all of us united in a category!

springacres

I don't listen to podcasts, but as a disabled individual myself, I fully support this idea for people who do!

Luan

Luan
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2022-06-24

Hello!

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos yet. In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, we will close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been declined by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to continue sharing it to get more kudos. Folks can still add their votes and comments in order to support it.

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here.

Luan
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2023-04-11

Hey!
We've been keeping an eye on this submission for an extended period of time, and it doesn't seem this will reach the votes necessary to put it forward for prioritization.
As such, we're marking this case as closed. This includes any similar suggestions that are received.

If we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back here with a new status. Have in mind that the idea will continue open for getting votes, so if you still feel strongly about it, continue sharing it with more users.

More information about it can be found here.

Thanks for your comprehension!