Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Push Notification for new Episodes

All of us Podcast lovers would definitely welcome a push notifications for new podcast episodes. Please consider! 

Updated on 2021-08-25

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that we've implemented New Episode Notifications and they're now available on iOS and Android mobile devices only.

How will New Episode Notifications work?
Starting August 17th, a Push Notification will be sent when a Show that users subscribed to releases a New Episode. Users won’t receive notifications for Episodes that they have already listened to.

How do I subscribe to New Episode Notifications?
From mobile, users can subscribe to receive notifications using the Bell icon on the Podcast Show page. If a user hits the Bell, they will automatically Follow the Show too. Users can also subscribe/unsubscribe by navigating to Notification Settings in the Spotify app, and selecting notification Settings, which displays all their followed Shows and subscription status. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
DETROIT1985

I use Castro for podcasts and they have the absolute best notification system. You can either queue an episode next, queue it last, play it now or just clear it as in you don’t want to listen but you all have to get some kind of system, they’re too many podcasts to just pop into the app to try and figure out what’s new and what’s old. The notification and management system is the only thing keeping me from completely migrating to Spotify for podcasts and music!

skyman3189

I have wanted to switch to Spotify for podcast but the lack of notifications keeps me from doing it. I don't have it memorized when podcaster release new episodes and some times they have weird schedules. So a notification when a new episode is released a must for me. 

iamJesseLee

Hey just a reminder that we’re years in to you guys providing a podcast platform and STILL not having basic podcast player functionality. 

Give us notifications and give us auto download. 

Crazy that this still isn’t a thing. 

ATGM

Two years trying to figure it out, eh? 🤔 1. Haven't seen an app where it is implemented ideally, honestly. I would expect to be able to choose the podcasts I would like to have included and then have one notification pop up to say "A new podcast episode has arrived!" or something like that to avoid having the clutter of 30 different notifications for 30 different podcasts. This notification then takes you to the list of all your unplayed podcasts in the app where you are able to start playing all all of them one by one. 2. There is no experience at the moment at all. I would have to guess there is a new podcast episode out, go to the app and find it manually. Which is a bit tedious to say the least.

isabelleangele

I use Overcast – I can choose which shows I receive notifications, and there's the option to automatically download as well. Also, when an episode is downloaded and I finish it, it automatically deletes itself, which is really nice

1. I know when a podcast is released and can listen right away. I can choose to download an episode if I'm traveling.

2. It's a poor experience. There isn't an option to check for new podcasts or refresh the feed. 

_q9349-5q4z8f

I use push notification to stay up to date to allow me to check out new content from artists/pidcasts/playlists I follow.

Youtube and Netflix have this feature that let's you opt in for bell notifications so I never miss anything I consider important. It is a simple feature that we should have. Even inferior platforms like Soundcloud have this feature because it is a no brainer to let your users be aware of new content they want to see. You are only hurting your platform by not having this feature because you are missing out on streams. Please do not ignore us or we will use other platforms 

Justosorock

Yes. It would be great to be able to enable notifications for individual podcasts to get notified of new episodes, people would love that. 

BernzMusic31

Hoping for this feature also. It's simple. Just allow the user to define whether he wants to be notified each time the podcast shows he follows uploads a new episode. It is not a sophisticated feature that we're requesting from Spotify. 🙂 

CurryAgablis

This is a fantastic idea!! Been getting into more podcasts and constantly checking for new episodes is getting annoying. I don't use any other apps to get notified because of storage space on my phone, this is definitely something I would love on Spotify.