Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Push Notification for new Episodes

All of us Podcast lovers would definitely welcome a push notifications for new podcast episodes. Please consider! 

Updated on 2021-08-25

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that we've implemented New Episode Notifications and they're now available on iOS and Android mobile devices only.

How will New Episode Notifications work?
Starting August 17th, a Push Notification will be sent when a Show that users subscribed to releases a New Episode. Users won’t receive notifications for Episodes that they have already listened to.

How do I subscribe to New Episode Notifications?
From mobile, users can subscribe to receive notifications using the Bell icon on the Podcast Show page. If a user hits the Bell, they will automatically Follow the Show too. Users can also subscribe/unsubscribe by navigating to Notification Settings in the Spotify app, and selecting notification Settings, which displays all their followed Shows and subscription status. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
FranAPPL

There are any news ? 

jamalexjam

Is this feature working in real time for anyone else? Appears it was rolled out but I’m still not receiving real time push notification when a new episode has become available.

Spygamer004

Podcasts are kind of hidden in the Spotify app and without the new episodes popping up it’s annoying having to look for them. In youtube they come to you..

mattwillmart
Can we please fire whoever decided to sink development time into Spotify
Stories ahead of the basic functionality of notifications for new podcasts?
Ffs
3k4peikos

Wow the CS is horrible communicator. Only after couple of hours figuring all my phones characteristics out and reseting everything I got an email that this feature is not available on Android. They said to do everything apart from factory reset and after all that "oh this feature is not available on mobile app just yet". wth Spotify this is the most needed feature right now pleased make it happen. 

Randy_Marsh

i know i wasn't crazy, i was like "where are my notifications at?!" ive been waiting for 6 months in hopes they would appear when joe does his first podcast today. MIssed an episode bc i didnt have a push, now i guess i have to manually check 

keveh

I still can't quite believe it's been 2 1/2 years since I added my feedback on this. It feel like it's an essential requirement for Podcasts and for it to sit in Good Ideas for another 7 months is ridiculous.

I've seen plenty of UI updates since then which add little to nothing to the general Spotify experience and this key feature is just sat here.

3k4peikos

Exactly *insert Michael Scott banging on the table saying thank you gif*

christogher0510
The only update I've seen since it was added is there's a blue dot next to
the podcasts that have an in listened to episode.

Push notifications would be great
Spencefull

I just spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why I can't get push notifications for podcasts which led me to this thread.

First off, I can't believe the first comment was over 2 years ago.

Secondly, I thought Spotify was making a big push into podcasts with the joe rogan experience purchase yet they are missing a mission critical feature.

For someone who only listens to podcasts when it looks like an interesting episode, I don't go searching for them. Not having push notifications means I probably won't listen to them.

Wishing Joe Rogan was still on youtube/google podcasts app