Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Push Notification for new Episodes

All of us Podcast lovers would definitely welcome a push notifications for new podcast episodes. Please consider! 

Updated on 2021-08-25

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that we've implemented New Episode Notifications and they're now available on iOS and Android mobile devices only.

How will New Episode Notifications work?
Starting August 17th, a Push Notification will be sent when a Show that users subscribed to releases a New Episode. Users won’t receive notifications for Episodes that they have already listened to.

How do I subscribe to New Episode Notifications?
From mobile, users can subscribe to receive notifications using the Bell icon on the Podcast Show page. If a user hits the Bell, they will automatically Follow the Show too. Users can also subscribe/unsubscribe by navigating to Notification Settings in the Spotify app, and selecting notification Settings, which displays all their followed Shows and subscription status. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
Randy_Marsh

Jamie still puts snippets of his episodes on YouTube.

j345

Yes, plese enter new function about push-ups with new podcast epizodes!!

Randy_Marsh

Looks like I have to rely on the YouTube push notifications on Joe Rogan's YouTube channel and hope that Joe continues to post highlight clips on his channel bc that's the only way I will know of a new episode.  For other podcast, I have to manually look bc they aren't on YouTube.

Flixy

Okay I feel like I have to leave Spotify for podcasts soon. That’s such an easy feature to implement and here it takes years to approve the idea as good and probably years on top to implement it. I’m really angry and disappointed 😒

Johan_e_fox

Så viktig funktion som jag behöver dagligen. Synd att denna funktion inte blivit löst 

ATGM

Now Deezer has added notifications for new podcast episodes, so I guess I am switching to that for podcasts too.

Flixy

I switched also. Such a shame but when Spotify doesn’t want me as costumer I’m going. That’s such an easy feature to program.

ATGM

That is something that seems so essential to me that it should've been implemented before the first podcast episode was ever uploaded onto their servers. I have no idea why it still is not available... It is literally as important as the play button.

Sbjones13

Just so you're all aware, I reached out to Spotify on twitter about this issue. They responded with the following " Hey there, thanks for reaching back out! Checking out the community links, it appears our teams have marked it as a good idea, but we're afraid we don't have any more info on this. We can only recommend waiting on more support for this idea. The more votes an idea has, the more likely it could be implemented into the app. We hope this clears things up /JF" 

So it's obviously a good idea. Not sure how it's been sitting in the queue for them to make it for so long. 

CaseZero

Do you currently use push notifications for a different podcast app? If so, can you describe how you typically use them? Do you enable them for all of your subscribed podcast shows?

Yes, I use push notifications with Pocket Casts for my top "can't miss" podcasts. I usually jump on and listen to podcasts when I get the new notification. Very important to get this update, or I'll miss episodes because I rarely go back with some podcasts.

Why do you think they are useful, what problem are they helping you to solve? How is your experience using podcasts now that you don't have notifications on Spotify?

It's a great reminder to listen in weekly or daily to the podcast. I see that Spotify started sending a weekly notification for the Joe Rogan Experience, but it's not the same experience with a show that's 2-3 times a week. I want a notification at the time it's uploaded because that's usually a better time for me to jump right in and listen to it.