Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Push Notification for new Episodes

All of us Podcast lovers would definitely welcome a push notifications for new podcast episodes. Please consider! 

Updated on 2021-08-25

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that we've implemented New Episode Notifications and they're now available on iOS and Android mobile devices only.

How will New Episode Notifications work?
Starting August 17th, a Push Notification will be sent when a Show that users subscribed to releases a New Episode. Users won’t receive notifications for Episodes that they have already listened to.

How do I subscribe to New Episode Notifications?
From mobile, users can subscribe to receive notifications using the Bell icon on the Podcast Show page. If a user hits the Bell, they will automatically Follow the Show too. Users can also subscribe/unsubscribe by navigating to Notification Settings in the Spotify app, and selecting notification Settings, which displays all their followed Shows and subscription status. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
kylethale

Listening to podcasts through Spotify is so difficult because of the lack of this feature.

Darryl017

1. I only use Spotify for this case.

2. It will help me save time from checking each other day to see if a new podcast is uploaded. Which can be really time consuming since I'm already following 6 podcasts.

kylethale

These are silly questions. You already know the answers to, but I'll respond anyway.

1. I used push notificaitons in Overcast. I used them to be notified about new episodes. I had them on for only some podcasts. Others, I didn't care as much about, so I kept those ones off.
  2. They are useful because you are notified about new episodes. The problem it solves is not being able to know when a podcast has been updated. I just switched from Overcast to Spotify, so that I could have less apps on my phone. I barely even remember that Spotify supports podcasts because there are no notifications. It's much easier to tap on a notification to go to a podcast than to open Spotify, tap Your Library, tap Podcasts, tap the podcast name, and then see if there are any updates. Remember, you need to do this for every podcast you're "subscribed" to. It's too much of a hastle that notifications could fix. I'm thinking of switching back to Overcast, just because I keep missing out on epidodes.
abhijeetmishra

1. No, because I only use spotify to listen to my podcasts

2.  It will be useful to listen to podcasts I wait whole week long for as soon as they are released. For the moment I have to manually check if a new episode is released.

1. Do you currently use push noticiations for a different podcast app? If so, can you describe how you typically use them? Do you enable them for all of your subscribed podcast shows?
  2. Why do you think they are useful, what problem are they helping you to solve? How is your experience using podcasts now that you don't have notifications on Spotify?

1. I do use notifications for podcasts in iOS Podcasts. I turn it on for all the podcasts I subscribe.
  2. I don't need to remember to check if there's a new episode available. Currently, in Spotify, I just check them a couple times per day since I don't remember what time are new episodes published for every podcast I subscribe to.
Brabo

I get notifications from another pod casting app.  Only if I subscribe.

I find it useful so that I don't have to launch an app, look to see if there is a new episode, only to close it if there is nothing new.

VoiceDev

1. Yes. When a Notification comes and I have time I will start listening to the Podcast. No, only daily ones to stay on top of them.

2. They remind me to listen to the daily podcast and make me pick that podcast app. Since I don't have notifications on Spotify I often go back to my old podcast app to listen to the daily podcasts.

f00diequeen
  1. Do you currently use push noticiations for a different podcast app? If so, can you describe how you typically use them? Do you enable them for all of your subscribed podcast shows?

YESSSS. It's only enabled for the specific shows I want to be notified of. I love the YouTube notification. I check every morning to see what subscribtions  posted new content.
  2. Why do you think they are useful, what problem are they helping you to solve? How is your experience using podcasts now that you don't have notifications on Spotify?
    It saves time and it lets me know when something new is up so I don't have to go on the profile everyday to check. Some podcast post sporadically, some once in a while.
fmorales
  1. Do you currently use push notifications for a different podcast app? If so, can you describe how you typically use them? Do you enable them for all of your subscribed podcast shows?
    Yes, I use notifications from another podcast. I use them to know when my podcasts post new episodes because I can never remember. Yes, they are enabled for all podcasts.
    they are useful because I don't have to remember when my podcast release. It's really annoying that there isn't a way to even know within the desktop version when there is a new episode. At least give us an option in the drop down to show newly released first.
jdrewery

Be good also just to be able to filter all favourited podcasts into Episode release order. 

Or even a long list of all our favourited podcasts episodes so we can then choose to sort them in various ways.