Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Subtitles for Podcasts

Thanks for the "karaoke" feature that allows us to follow the lyrics of the songs. It's great for anyone learning a new language or who needs to find a specific part of a song's lyrics, and especially for deaf people who, different from what is generally expected, also like to enjoy music on Spotify and this feature makes the experience more accessible.

However, a similar feature has not yet been implemented in podcasts, which is a shame as there are many creators producing extremely relevant content on the platform, but, for lack of an accessibility feature, this content doesn’t reach as many people as possible and many creators choose to make their content available on platforms that respect the diversity of their audience.

By making some updates to the karaoke feature that already exists on the platform we can have a Spotify more accessible to everyone. The ideal is a tool that generates an automatic description of the spoken content, as present in other online platforms, but also allows edits to be made by the content creator itself.

And then it should be automatically synchronized with the audio and available in the desktop and mobile version as well.

This update will bring more people to Spotify, as many people consume podcast media looking to learn a new language and would like to be able to check words they don't understand well, in addition, browsing the synchronized caption of the content allows you to find which part of a particular episode has the information that the person is looking for.

Most importantly, it will highlight the issue of accessibility for people with disabilities and initiate a dialogue with the disabled people community, because deficiencies are part of human diversity and must be respected.

Updated on 2021-06-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
BrandyBlaze73

This would be fantastic for myself, and other deaf/hard of hearing ppl! I can feel the music, and between genius & Musixmatch, I get plenty of lyrics, but I'd love to follow several podcasts if I was Able to do so! Thanks for hearing my idea!! ❤️

Mario
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-12-21

Hey there,

Thanks for submitting this to the Idea Exchange!

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Jose_M
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-03-23

Hello there!

It looks like your idea was posted a while ago but, unfortunately, it hasn't gathered the minimum amount of votes to stay active in the Ideas Exchange (50 votes in the first 3 months). I'll mark your idea as "Closed - Not Enough Votes". You can learn more on how the Ideas Exchange works here.

Have a nice day 🙂

annab_cereja

This idea is great. I'm hard of hearing and frequently find it difficult to understand what is said on podcasts.

MattCP

Ótima ideia!

andrerockalves

Great idea!

Luan
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-05-07

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as 'New Suggestion'.
Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2021-05-07

Hey! Looks like that your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and I hope it continues to be supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your idea. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

brunopulis

Distributing content to as many people as possible is essential. A portion of the deaf population is unable to consume this type of content. Accessibility is everyone's right.

CarolinaPaulino

Great Idea!