Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Privacy] Private Session should stay active

Let's face it. We've all used Spotify to listen to music that we would be embarassed to advertise publically.

Whether it's kittens meowing Christmas songs, that your friends would never let you live down, or a hardcore rap album, that you wouldn't want your 8 year old cousin to go and listen to because his cool aunt or uncle likes it.

When it comes to this social music app, privacy is not a convenient bonus feature, it's a critical necessity.

Currently, the only way to listen to songs privately on Spotify, is to go to the settings and activate a private session. This is not only annoying, since I constantly have to navigate through settings to activate privacy on my phone, it's stressful because you have to worry about whether or not certain people can see what you're listening too. My primary music app should not cause anxiety about what I share publically.

From a 2011 blog post "Spotify is all about sharing and discovering new music. It’s entirely up to you what you decide to share and what you keep private."

With the first part in mind, it makes sense that spotify would default to making all of the music you listen to public to your followers but the second part is not true. Anyone can follow me on Spotify and if I have to continuously activate a private session, there will inevitably be times when I forget. As a paying customer, I should have the ability to hide what I listen to if I please and activate privacy indefinitely.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
bsaass

You're kidding! Privacy is a real concern and a way to make Private Session default is sorely needed.

freechat900

Would be amazing!

Driveway

Agreed! I don't like everyone to know what I'm listening to and I always forget to switch to privacy mode. It shouldn't toggle off between sessions.

SianneR

I really don't understand why this is so hard.

I finally decided to buy Spotify, wherefor i needed a creditcard..

But for 10 euros a month you should be able to decide with whom you want to share your music.

For me i would never want to share my music. It is a stupid feature. So to keep your listeners satisfied you should enable this feature to listen privately indefinetly.

Or otherwise... why don't you put in on a 12 hour session.. so you don't have to think about it every time you turn on Spotify..

I find that you are a really non customerfriendly company and i really do not get why you make it so hard to try and satisfy your customers.. i mean come on we pay for it for f***cks sake. 

SianneR

Why make a platform.... If Spotify never listens to their customers.... 😮 😮 😮

Gèrald

I don't understand why Spotify MUST be social.

I mean, I like the algorithms of the service, they work pretty well and I pay monthly for them. But these won't work well if you go to private session (at least is what you say in your website, just forgive me if I'm wrong).

So not only I need to turn on private session every time I turn on the app, but also I'm forced to miss the app features working properly.

I would like to enjoy your service with all the features, but without any social element. Sounds easy to me, why can't this be possible? I don't like people to follow me or see what I'm listening to. It's absurd that I get punished if I try to avoid that.

Please, I don't want any more random people sending me f****** screenshots of the things that I've listened to because I forgot turning on the private thingy. 

Just put a HIDE ME FROM EVERYWHERE AND EVERYONE FOREVER WITHOUT MESSING WITH THE ALGORITHMS button.

Sorry for the rant, but this really pisses me off.

1s1s1s1s

Hello,

As a teacher I can not interact with students via social media, so I do not want my students to be able to follow my account.  Recently some of my class have found my spotify user name and are able to see the playlist I follow even if I am in a private session.  You do not allow me to change my user name and do not allow privite accounts.  

I hope you can fix either of these so I will be able to continue streaming music via your platform.  I'm sure once other teachers discover this same problem, they will be faced with no option, quit spotify unit our information can be made private. 

I was sent here because my similar suggestion was inactivated for being a duplicate. I posted it even though it was a duplicate because you guys still don't have a private option...requiring this much work of users to submit feedback is really terrible customer service. I don't have all day to trawl your message boards. ";)"

We need a private option.

Ellmen

391 upvotes and 7 pages of comments - I'd say this is an important issue. I'm seriously considering canceling my paid subscription if this doesn't get fixed.

JohnLockNKey
What is the purpose of this community board? Thousands of posts over many years all demanding the same control over privacy that is now standard on all other available apps. After all this time Spotify has not even attempted to offer up a reason why the privacy option automatically expires after a few hours. Spotify closes threads of messages and considers the case settled while the number of resentful and dissatisfied customers continues to grow. Tear down this community help and support wastebasket of a website. Stop pretending Spotify has any interest in addressing the concerns of the many teachers, parents and doctors among Spotify’s users and customers who wish to control the privacy of their playlists. Selling listening habits to advertisers with no concern for safety or privacy is a dangerous way to do business.