Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Profile] Reset Taste Profile / History

Please allow for a reset option, so you can start all over again with a clean sheet.

For now, you have to start over with an entirely new account to do just that. And for that you need to contact Customer Support. Not very convenient.

Updated on 2020-02-26

Hey folks,

We appreciate you coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks

Comments
LFTDT

I am a live sound engineer and have to use my Spotify account to play “walk in music” that I DO NOT LIKE when doors open. So now my recommendations suck. 

MelGrubb
Go into anonymous/private mode when you know you're playing something out of they ordinary. It works.
LFTDT

I was asked to play something on the fly, no time to dig through menus. I have signed up for a family plan and literally switched accounts on my  iOS app but listening history carries over even after logging back into my personal account. 

vampirelogan

I don't need to reset my whole profile's tastes but I would like to be able to edit it by marking things that I definitely would like removed. Maybe have a feature mode where I can try out some new music and see if I like it before it puts it into my tastes. After a session of exploring new music a list of everything I listened to could be shown with like/dislike/indifferent icons and I can just quickly indicate what I found. Indifferent would be setting it back to that state as if I had not even listened (maybe it part of it was running when i was afk).

RandomUsernameA

Sit with me for a moment while I tell you a tale of hilarity and horror. Gather 'round, and imagine my nightmare. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll recoil. What follows is the hilarious yet irritating reason why I'm frustrated that there's no fix for this issue:

I take care of three aggressive male special needs cats. They were keeping me awake at night. Some scientists discovered that certain sounds make cats chill the f*** out, so a guy made an album, Music for Cats Album 1 by David Teie. I started playing it at night near the cats because it works surprisingly well on them and they generally let me sleep now.

Oh man. I shouldn't have used Spotify to do that.  My account is wrecked. Even though I use Spotify all day long to listen to music that is completely unrelated, all of the Discover Weekly suggestions began to revolve around that one album. It became horrible for someone like me who listens to aggressive music like deathrock, electro industrial, Skinny Puppy, Ministry, Riotlegion, and punk and metal. It was a nonstop stream of what I can only describe as 90s New Age meditation music, floaty wifty sounds, tinkling bells and various wooden flutes. Once time there were whales accompanied by 90's synthesizers and a flute. Which I suppose is totally fine if you're trying to ingest some kind of obscure plant while discovering your spirit guide on the astral plane, but it is very unhelpful when you're at work trying to be focused and assertive. While I'm totally down with being chill, this was driving me nuts, so I unfollowed and I now pretty much ignore everything that Spotify suggests just in case I get trolled with tinkling wind chimes and wifty sound effects again.

It was disappointing to have to unfollow Discover Weekly. I used to discover some great music there. Unfortunately it had gotten so bad that skipping through all the tracks in the hopes of finding a good one became a frustrating and tedious chore that made me feel really p***ed off. Discovering new music is supposed to be fun. I honestly have been looking for an alternative to Spotify ever since.  Until I do, what I do now is go to Bandcamp to find new music and do some digital crate digging, then I take what I find to Spotify and if it exists here, I then plug it into one of the playlists that I've made by myself. 

The moral of the story: Don't use Spotify to play the oddball stuff. Make an alternate account or something, but don't. Play it. Here. 

srttytmuy

Want to upset your friend? Just play some Country and Western on their Spotify. It will pollute their discover for many many weeks.

Personally I'd like to consider country to be a special interest genre like kids, soundtracks or Christmas. But hey.

At the very least let me reset.

The cynical perspective is you won't do this because the only way to reset is to keep playing playing playing, and Spotify makes $$$ as a result. Meanwhile every time I have to hit forward, I curse the artist and I curse Spotify for not making this better.

Someone could code  test this in a day

MelGrubb
Yup. A simple soft delete flag on your track history entries to exclude things from suggestion analysis, but leave them available for internal bulk analysis.
rmff

Spotify team, you need to take a action on that. You must became available an option to clean/fix the mess that my played songs became, I don't know if I got hacked ou forgot my account logged in on some place but, my historic are full of songs that for sure didn't listened and this is messing with all algorithms. The soft/flagged delete are a good option, on the back-end system you can control/see all played musics but for algorithms and users the flagged songs are hidden. I really hope that you take a action on that. 

mep84

A nuanced flagging editing system would be cool. Also the option to exclude playlists/artists from the taste profile. 

But a delete all history button with a big pop up explaining "it will take some time to re-learn your profile" would be much simpler to implement and I would click it in a heartbeat. 

I've got a lot of lot playlists I want to keep, so a new account isn't an option. 

Should be a nice Iittle project for someone on the dev team in 2020. I want to stop recieving notifications from this thread and listen to some angry music! 

mrod

This is very important. People have several reasons they don't want certain recommendations poppping up.  Perhaps songs they listened to were from a period of time in life. Perhaps they were engaged in something illicit when listening. Music has emotional resonance to life, and we have as much reason to expect to delete our music history as we do our Chrome browser internet history. Our Spotify history doxxes our lives just as much, and we want to at least have this not feed recommendations / jump back in / heavy rotation.