Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Put playlists in multiple folders/Use tags instead of folders

I think it would be really helpful if we could make playlist folders more like an index and less like a box to put certain things in - at the moment you can only put a playlist in one folder and then it's stuck there (apparently you can remove them but it's not worked for me on desktop), but I would like to be able to add a playlist to multiple folders.
This would let me order my music according to genre as well as things like mood (chill, upbeat, loud etc). I could also have large overarching folders like instrumental with all my insrumental playlists in it, but still have those playlists in other more specific folders like Classical or LoFi - both instrumental but both very different, which at the moment poses the problem of which folder I should put them in as I can only choose one (sometimes you want music with no lyrics but different genres).

I've made over 150 playlists and this number is only likely to go up, so it would be so much easier to find the music I want if I could go to specific folders for different things. This would also prevent accidentally making the same sort of playlist twice, which would save space.

EDIT: another suggestion from comments is using a tag system instead of folders to allow playlists to come under multiple categories

Updated on 2023-07-19

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Yordan
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2023-05-24

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

MaximusicExplorer

I love this idea, but formulated this way I don't find it attractive since putting something in several folders is counterintuitive and never seen in any other apps.

Which is why I encourage you to rename it to "Use tags instead of folders". In Gmail for example, you can sort mails and put them in an arborescence of tags. It's very similar to the folders in other mail clients, except it has all the good properties you mentioned, plus it will be intuitive for most people that a playlist can have multiple tags.

2023-05-27 10_07_26-_Pubs_TunnelBear_ - mdrouhin2@gmail.com - Gmail.png

And I think renaming this idea to "Use tags instead of folders" would also attract more traffic and make the idea more likely to be implemented!

CTBT

@MaximusicExplorer that would also be a good option, have changed the title and post to reflect this. I guess it would be up to whatever Spotify prefers to implement.

Jodie653

Custom tags are exactly what I'm looking for. I would want to be able to filter my library by tag and I would want to be able to add multiple tags to each song. I don't want to have a huge number of playlists to look through to find what I'm looking for, especially since each song would be on multiple playlists. I would tag songs by language, mood and release date and I would want to be able to type the name of a tag in the search bar in my library and have the search results show only songs with that tag, then just tap one and have the queue play all the search results for that tag.

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2023-07-19

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.