Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Queue] Queue to Next or Last

Present two options on rightclick, Queue Last and Queue Next. Very easy to implement, and useful. 

The way I been using spotty lately is to keep adding to Play Queue, it has gotten really long and sometimes I want to listen to something right now, then I have to add to queue and then move the songs all the way up to the top.

Mediamonkey have had this implemented since long ago. Mediamonkey is btw the best musicorganizer I've ever owned or tried. 

Updated on 2023-03-28

Hey there,

Thanks for this submission. We had a slight hiccup with moving ideas to different boards, but it's all good now.

We're setting the status of this one as "not right now", but that doesn't mean that your votes don't count.

Cheers!

Comments
_quark

@lnimrichter I get that you are requesting an option, I didn't mean to take over this thread with my comment. What I wanted to make clear was that the term "Add to Queue" in no way implies that the song should be played next, ahead of my current queue of songs. The button as it functions now should be titled "Play Next". Having an option to do both would be ideal, but either changing the name of the button or switching its functionality to actually add to queue instead of play next would be a good iterative step.

gordoner

@_quarkThe way it works now isn't really play next, so it shouldn't be called "Play Next". If you use it for the first time on a playlist, it works as "Play Next". But if you use it again, those songs are added after the ones that were queued first. So I get why they would call it "Add to queue". Still, it's quite confusing and unsatisfying. Also, when you're a couple of songs into the queued songs, and you wanna skip back to the last song played, you can't. It will throw you back to the last song of the original playlist you had. If you skip forward, and then immediately backward again, this song is also lost. Everything in the queue is lost immediately after it was played. That's utterly horrible.

I, for my part, would actually like three options:

- "Play Next": places the song directly after the one currently playing. Brute force.

- "Queue": interrupts your original playlist with a queue of songs. Songs that are queued are added to the end of this queue, but before the remainder of the original playlist. This is pretty much what Spotify is doing right now. It's hard to grasp, but useful when you want to play a bunch of songs that fit the current mood, and then go back to the playlist you had prepared beforehand.

- "Play Last": places the song at the end of the playlist.

Apple Music finally implemented it as Play Next and Play Later and I found it much more simple and intuitive.

The way "Add to Queue" is implemented now is like butting into a queue in real life. When you line up at a store, it's polite and customary to go to the end of the line, no? 

Add to Queue now acts as Queue/Play Next, inserting itself before the rest of the queue. Ridiculous and annoying.

Two, simple, no-brainer options instead, please, instead of this one ultimately counter-intuitive, complicated option.

Soonki

I think this shows how they are not really music lovers. Maybe you'd say I'm old but, I'm used to listen music by album units. So this is so uncomfortable when I want to queue an album which will be played after this album finished. 

I was trying spotify but I will move back to apple music solely because of this feature. 

Jamalleelee

The sole reason I went back to Apple Music. 

monsterminty

I really cannot believe you won't implement this feature, the sonos interface has it in place and it's literally the best feature of that app. It's not hard to implement and everybody wants it.

Play

Play next

Add to playlist

Replace playlist

Add to end of playlist

Now Apple Music equips with this feature. I get to use both of them. **bleep**in so bad

The thing that is especially insulting is that Spotify thinks we're too stupid to understand more than one option, even though extra options make things simpler.

As monsterminty pointed out, Sonos has implemented it with Play Next and Add To End of Queue. Easy to understand and it does what you expect it to do!

jsonfreeman

Here's the reason I need this, maybe you can suggest something else.

I am listening to album A. I decide midway through the album, that I'd like to listen to album B next, but only when album A is done! I select album B and Add to Queue. However, it adds itself *before* the rest of album A, when in fact I'd like it to be added at the end. I end up adding it, and having to reorder each track individually. Any suggestions here?

Why make a distinction between the current playlist and the queue? To me, there should just be the queue.

Tomsawyer2000

I've spent an hour trying to work out how to delete the music that was in the up next queue on my phone. 

Then to realise it has to be done one by one! Clicking each song individually when there is over 100 in the query!!

poor functionality guys.