Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Rearrange Tracks inside a Playlist

On my iPod I can manually move my songs around that are in my playlist, but I can't do the same on my phone which is what I mostly use. It would be easier to have that option on all devices.

Updated on 2018-07-11

Hey!

The Spotify Community team here.

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Android users.
We'd recommend double-checking that you're running the latest version of Spotify.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community.
/M
Comments
HeatherR64

Just want to say that in addition to wanting to do this on my Android phone, I also want to be able to do it in the Browser version (I can't use the desktop application at work, so am stuck in the browser version all day).

hollyraif

Hey everyone, I emailed support@spotify.com and got a reply from a real person.  They weren't very helpful.  Couldn't give me any answers about when this feature might be implemented.  They did say that they would pass my suggestion to the developers.  Everyone who is intersted in this feature should email them.  The more emails they get the more likely they are to actually listen to us.  Here is part of their response to me asking why Apple users can rearrange playlists, but Android users can't.

"We're very sorry for the inconvenience this is causing for you. We certainly understand if you feel that way.

Our developers are working hard to improve our app. However, sometimes it isn't easy to implement the same features over to different platforms.

We can't say if or when any specific features will be added. But as soon as we’ve got anything to announce, we’ll let everyone know over on the Spotify Community.

We always appreciate customers who take the time to give us their feedback. We’ll pass what you’ve said onto the right folks here at Spotify."

aramando

@hollyraif

Wow, you got a much better response than I did when I emailed them a couple of weeks ago with an impassioned appeal to their common sense. I pretty much just got a canned response about how they're "listening" (BS) and how I might consider adding my idea to this forum - despite having made more than a passing reference to this existing 40 page-strong thread in my email.

That said, the line about it not being easy to implement the same features across platforms is basically more BS. That may be true for a few rare advanced features, but it absolutely is not true for something as simple as drag'n'drop functionality, as the many apps that already use this in some form or another demonstrate (e.g. Google Play Music and Apple Music, just to pick two examples entirely at random...). The only reasons for this feature being left out of the Android version are lazyness or incompetence.

grbsoft

Same here, almost automated response for me too.

@hollyraif wrote:

Wow, you got a much better response than I did when I emailed them a couple of weeks ago with an impassioned appeal to their common sense. I pretty much just got a canned response about how they're "listening" (BS) and how I might consider adding my idea to this forum - despite having made more than a passing reference to this existing 40 page-strong thread in my email.

I must add that the functionality is already there in the "Now Playing" virtual playlist, there you can drag and move around all the songs. I agree with you and add 2 cents to incompetence, strong incompetence!

That said, the line about it not being easy to implement the same features across platforms is basically more BS. That may be true for a few rare advanced features, but it absolutely is not true for something as simple as drag'n'drop functionality, as the many apps that already use this in some form or another demonstrate (e.g. Google Play Music and Apple Music, just to pick two examples entirely at random...). The only reasons for this feature being left out of the Android version are lazyness or incompetence 
dagsville
The reason it's not implemented is not lazyness/incompetence, it's because
they don't want to do it. It's a very conscious strategy. I assume they
want Android users to also have to install the app on their
desktops/laptops. It's so frustrating!

devadevi
what would they gain by this?
hollyraif

@grbsoft @aramando  

I got a canned response at first about how to "sort" my playlists.  You have to reply back to get a real response

I agree that they do not want to implement this feature for some reason.  They implemented this a long time ago for Apple users which leads me to believe that this has something to do with their relationship with Apple.  Maybe they have an agreement to provide Apple users a better service in some ways than the Android users get.  Frustrating.

dagsville
I guess it means they keep more of a foothold in the Windows environment.
This could be something they don't want to give up.
EarlPurple

Spotify don't seem to get it. But then nor do many of the users, probably the new ones.

User's own playlists are one of the most important features of Spotify. Never mind a play queue, it's about playlists. I create them , I download them onto a device, I put in what I want where I want.

Sometimes the wrong track appears by mistake and I need to replace it (thanks to spotlistr taking the first thing spotify returns which isn't always the closest match and sometimes a live track when it doesn't say it is). When that happens, I want to put the replacement where the old track was.

I don't need Spotify to "connect" my devices based on what I am listening to. That is the most annoying feature

I want to turn off.

I DO expect Spotify to "connect" when I change a playlist somewhere. All other devices should pick up that change ASAP. I had an enormous issue last night where I was modifying a playlist and my Android wouldn't pick it up. Even when I started playing something, it picked that up but not the playlist change.

My most recently created / modified playlist is my latest playlist, even if I haven't listened to it yet. It should be top of the "recent" list if I have just created it or modified it.

(And of course, Shuffle should be a playlist feature. Changing playlist should change whether it is shuffled or not. So perhaps have 2 settings, a global shuffle and a local playlist shuffle).

Well now the sndro (mistaken entry)